And now for something weird...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I haven't been scanning the bands much lately but I haven't heard the "Russian Woodpecker" in a while either. I guess they have better technology now.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Dopes with dope.

Shoulda taken the high road.....

Four mud-covered theft suspects were arrested in rural Clackamas County early Tuesday morning when deputies came upon them as they walked down a highway with more than 60 pounds of cannabis plants in duffel bags and protruding from their pockets, officials said.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/202...d-walking-along-clackamas-county-highway.html
“The owner of the farm arrived and identified the plants as hemp, which only contains a minimal amount of THC; these plants are mostly used for therapeutic CBD oils, and would not have delivered the intoxicating effect hoped for by the suspects.”
HempHeistSuspectCollage.jpg
https://www.clackamas.us/sheriff/2020-10-01-CCSOPR-HempHeistFoiled.html

Suspects had heard about the farm from a friend, and two of them had had taken a bus from Portland to Molalla to steal the plants, thinking the plants were recreational marijuana. (Spoiler alert: They were not.)

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There was a lot of hemp grown in the midwest back when. Commonly know as "ditch weed" there and grew wild all over the place. You'd regularly hear back in the 70s about some idiots stopped beside the hwy. grabbing it and stuffing it in a bag as fast as they could when the state or local gendarme pulled up to ask "What you boys doing?" and getting busted. Didn't matter to the courts how much THC it had back then. My cousin, the degreed Horticulturist, decided last year to cash in on the hemp oil boom and had to put guard dogs and other protection around his field to keep the idiots out. So far he tells me he hasn't recouped his intial investment after paying for all the permit fees and such.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Very interesting article... its premise is borderline threatening to this place TOS.
https://journals.aps.org/pre/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevE.102.042101
Numerical simulations show that the system reaches thermal equilibrium and the average rates of heat and work provided by stochastic thermodynamics tend quickly to zero. However, there is power dissipated by the load resistor, and its time average is exactly equal to the power supplied by the thermal bath.
The News Article headline is misleading IMO. The theoretical energy harvesting circuit and results from that circuit are simulator based so we all know how much that means in the 'real-world' of real circuits.
Physicists build circuit that generates clean, limitless power from graphene
Graphene is acting as a commutator (a quantum slip-ring) on a existing thermal environment where the energy is supplied from some external source, not graphene. The amount of energy extracted (10 picowatts of power) with be no more than from any other type of very low energy background energy-harvesting. It's only as clean and limitless as the diffuse energy source other naturally occurring energy-harvesting devices use.

Last edited: