And now for something weird...

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Have seen a thing on the Discovery channel where they say the gravity of a distant black hole caused the starlight of an even more distant galaxy "Lens" around both sides and split into what appeared to be two stars, one on either side of the BH. Like seeing one star twice at the same time in slightly different locations.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Have seen a thing on the Discovery channel where they say the gravity of a distant black hole caused the starlight of an even more distant galaxy "Lens" around both sides and split into what appeared to be two stars, one on either side of the BH. Like seeing one star twice at the same time in slightly different locations.
A similar effect is seen on earth with mirages.

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/fantastically-wrong-fata-morgana/

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/almost-a-mirage-but-actually-not.149391/#post-1276024

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
@nsaspook yeah, I've seen that plenty of times. But that's due to the density of the air, not gravity of a massive object in space. And by massive I mean REALLY FRICKIN' MASSIVELY BIG. The more dense air above the roadway acts like a lens or mirror causing the roadway to appear wet and show the reflections of vehicles that are further down the road. Not long ago I saw a documentary on mysterious lights that would hover over a particular roadway. The light would come from seemingly nowhere, hold its position for moments to maybe a minute or more, then disappear without moving. They studied it and finally determined it was a distant highway at a particular time of evening and particular air temperatures that would cause the headlights of approaching cars that were in line with that mysterious light over the roadway thing was occurring. Cars would come over a hill and their headlights would blend together. When the roadway dipped below the viewer's angle and the land between the two points the mysterious light would vanish. While at a lower elevation the roadway swept to the left (as would be the case from oncoming cars) and stay out of sight from there on, thus making it look like a mysterious light that seemed extra-terrestrial in nature.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
@nsaspook yeah, I've seen that plenty of times. But that's due to the density of the air, not gravity of a massive object in space. And by massive I mean REALLY FRICKIN' MASSIVELY BIG.
Sure and it's sometimes from something like Dark Matter in space. We see the gravitational effect but can't detect the object(s) causing it.
https://www.nasa.gov/content/discoveries-highlights-shining-a-light-on-dark-matter
Dark matter is an invisible form of matter that makes up most of the universe’s mass and creates its underlying structure. Dark matter’s gravity drives normal matter (gas and dust) to collect and build up into stars and galaxies. Although astronomers cannot see dark matter, they can detect its influence by observing how the gravity of massive galaxy clusters, which contain dark matter, bends and distorts the light of more-distant galaxies located behind the cluster. This phenomenon is called gravitational lensing.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I wonder if they also have a "laugh track" of the crowd cheering to listen to?
Most teams do. They pipe in sounds of the fans cheering and modify the sounds depending on the action on the field. So far in the first three games, every game the NE Patriots have played, the home team has piped in fan sounds.