ancillary battery charging question.

MAS Systems

Joined May 15, 2017
Hi all

A brief introduction. My back ground is in automation mainly PLC’s and basic electronics for signal conditioning for analog inputs. I have recently ventured into battery management systems for off road and RV’s. This is an ancillary battery charging question.

With the advent of variable voltage alternators (Euro 5, Euro 6) in modern vehicles, my VSR systems are all but useless. I have a boost buck with an input voltage of 10V-16V and an output of 19V@15A (285W) connected to the crank battery. I want kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Can I use this power source to replace a solar panel input on a MPPT battery charger?

PS: I have been told no, but don’t under why. Any explanation would help

Regard

Harpo

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thank you. I didn't understand how the charger would know it's not a PV
The only thing I can think of is if the MPPT loop tries to optimize the efficiency, as it would do with a solar panel, and ends up drawing the maximum current from the source, overloading itself.

MAS Systems

Joined May 15, 2017
The only thing I can think of is if the MPPT loop tries to optimize the efficiency, as it would do with a solar panel, and ends up drawing the maximum current from the source, overloading itself.
So if I ensure that the buck can only deliver 80% of the total allowable watts to the controller, this shouldn't issue it? Basically current limiting it or have I missed something? Would a PWM be better suited?

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So if I ensure that the buck can only deliver 80% of the total allowable watts to the controller, this shouldn't issue it? Basically current limiting it or have I missed something? Would a PWM be better suited?
I would think a limit would work.
See no need for PWM.