Anarchy in the UK

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We call our law "Stand your ground". You do not have to flee your home in the face of home invasion. You are also allowed to protect your neighbors property. I think several states (such as Oklahoma) have variations of it.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Many fires are now alight, scattered over several parts of London and its suburbs. A huge Sony warehouse in Enfield was looted and is now ablaze.

The thread started as "Anarchy in the UK", and now we have "london's Burning". Personally, I never was a fan of Punk Rock.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
There were several examples of citizens defending themselves and their businesses with deadly force during the South Central Los Angeles Riots in 1992 following acquittals of police in the Rodney King incident.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Bill is lucky to live in the great state of Texas. I'm from New York, a very different place. I visit Texas regularly (in-laws for Christmas) and am quite impressed with the love of state expressed by most Texans. We drive thru a lot or open ranch country where you will see nothing but fences for miles and miles. When you come to a gate it is typically marked by both a US flag and the flag of the Lone Star. I couldn't draw my own state flag (it has some people and leaves on it, plus some other junk) but I've seen the Texas flag so much when there I could draw that one (plus they used a very simple pattern).

Gun racks in pick ups are common and they always make me feel safer.

Don't mess with Texas. Why? You don't want to know why!

New York has some silly laws concerning home invasion. Seems you can defend your property but not your person! Bernie Getz got off the worst charges in his subway shooting since he said he feared them robbing him, if he feared an assault he was not legally allowed to open fire.

Getting a carry permit is nearly impossible. You can get a hand gun but can only keep it in your car going to and from a target range, which is why most gun stores have a gun range you can get a key for, and they are thus open 24/7/365.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why could we not see this coming? The world is on the brink of global crises simultaneously on three fronts, environmental, economic and social, all inextricably intertwined. Our global economic system is based on monetary expansion and exploitation of the planet and people. Corporate greed and pursuit of profit continues to wreck the planet and society. When you alienate, marginalize and push citizens into hopeless situations they will push back. Egypt, Greece, Syria, UK today. USA tomorrow.

(I have concerns for relatives in London and Liverpool.)

Last edited:

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
This riot started because a man was shot down by police.
That's why there was a peaceful protest, yes, but now it's just an excuse they are using to justify random acts of violence, vandalism and theivery.

Last night riots spread to liverpool too, happened not far from where I am.

Weapons are not easily available in these countries, not for everyone...
Common people have no defense against this mob. And then, the "law" protects everyone, even the attacker.
I have a very large spanner and a wood axe. That's all I'm saying about that.

I would suggest for the dear readers, that WE, western civilization, have created the dilemma we find ourselves in, at the hands of those who would 'break the law'.
Whether by faulty law system or by ...

Why could we not see this coming? The world is on the brink of global crises simultaneously on three fronts, environmental, economic and social, all inextricably intertwined. Our global economic system is based on monetary expansion and exploitation of the planet and people. Corporate greed and pursuit of profit continues to wreck the planet and society. When you alienate, disenfranchise and push citizens into hopeless situations they will push back. Egypt, Greece, Syria, UK today. USA tomorrow.

(I have concerns for relatives in London and Liverpool.)
... Yeah, all that, today's society has brought this about.
Self destruction by creating a desructive self, may be a fitting description.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I think the time of politeness has to come to an end. UK government should call the army immediately to defend the streets. It is shocking to see homes being burned and lives being destroyed. Entire neighbourhoods are now levelled! That they are waiting for? They should declare martial law! This is a calamity!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They had a incident in Wisconsin sometime around last Friday where around a 100 black kids were assaulting people in their cars on the opening day of their state fair. They were ignoring other blacks and targeting white folks, this with police nearby. You can find out on the story on blogs, but the media is pretty much going with a news black out. I think I find the news black out as disturbing as the story.

I don't see this happening in Texas only because we have gang problems in Dallas, and the police are willing and ready to meet this kind of behavior head on. I'm not sure what the story was in Wisconsin, police were near but didn't get involved. Given the lack of information I'm not sure the latter is true.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
If the police would disable the mobile networks in the affected areas, all the rioters would stop and wander in small circles mumbling to themselves. ;)

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
<snip>
I'm not sure what the story was in Wisconsin, police were near but didn't get involved. Given the lack of information I'm not sure the latter is true.
Not true about the police.
This started in the suburb of West Allis where the fair is located.
They have a smaller police force there which was overwhelmed.
I think that about 7 police officers from that city were taken to the hospital.
Eventually Milwaukee police and the State Patrol were asked for help.
There were just too many (maybe 100-200) hoodlums involved to be controlled by a few officers that were on duty from West Allis.
After reinforcements arrived at least 30 were arrested.
Something like this happens so fast that by the time police arrive, quite a lot of damage can be done.
Too bad that the 200 can give such a bad impression for the 200,000 who are law abiding.
This is probably partially due to the (ADULTS ?) who were demonstrating in the State Capitol earlier this year.
The young see adults acting up and copy the disruptive behavior.
It seems like society has broken down when this kind of activity seems to be becoming more prevalent .

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
London seems quieter tonight, but there has been more trouble in the West Midlands. The most disturbing thing to my mind is the open defiance of some of the youths involved. They seem to taunt the police, who are hard pressed to do anything about it. This is something that I feel might be addressed by armed police able to use their weapons freely.

On reflection, it might be better not to get carried away here.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
There's been more rioting here in liverpool, but I havent seen anything, only heard the distant wailing of police sirens and thought "I wonder what circuit they used to do that? Some kind of LFO and a VCO like my synthesizer maybe ... "

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Florida has an equal force law,If you come at me with a noodle.
I can react with equal size noodle.
So if you keep a .45 on your headboard and someone breaks in in the middle of the night with a .22, do you ask him first what he's packing to determine whether it's acceptable to use the .45 or go back to the gun chest for a .22?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Regarding the anarchy in UK; I really feel bad for you guys. I hope nobody here on the forum is personally effected (or anyone else for that matter). My opinion is that martial law should be declared. not only would it end the problem, but it would also give the people a needed sense of empowerment. the citizens feeling that "theres nothing they can do to stop it" contributes to ease of opportunity for it to happen in the first place.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
it would also give the people a needed sense of empowerment. the citizens feeling that "theres nothing they can do to stop it" contributes to ease of opportunity for it to happen in the first place.
Perhaps for other people but I'm a mad scientist, the reason I'm not out there pillaging and murdering is because I'm a decent human being, not because laws prevent me. Similarly, I am prepared to do things to stop anyone who tries to riot in my immediate vicinity, regardless of who is in perceived control, military or government.
The idea of martial law just gives me more to worry about really, like getting shot by the military because they "thought he was a rioter":(