Analogue Dimming of light - current sink type

arjun sureshbabu

Joined Apr 17, 2017
Hello All,

I am using TLC7226CN (4 channel Digital to Analogue converter IC) to convert 8 bit digital signal to 0-10V analogue signal which is given to a RECOM constant current LED light driver (RACD-150A) and it works well. Recently because of higher wattage requirement, I bought Thomas Research LED driver (PLED-200W). When I connected this driver, there is no effect of 0-10V dimming signal and the led light (connected to the output of the driver) started blinking. Looking at the datasheet I got to know that the Thomas Research Driver needs current sinking type dimming signal. I am bit confused. The DAC IC is of sourcing type. I am not sure how to convert the existing circuit to current sinking type. Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks,
Arjun

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The PLED-200w data sheets says you need to sink 2mA (purple wire).

Any standard op amp can do that.
But depending upon the supply voltages available it may need to be a rail-rail type.

Just connect the op amp as a gain of +1 follower to the DAC output.

Last edited:
Agree here with Crutschow, the output amp on the DAC is not appropriate to the task.I can add that the 2mA figure is the maximum source current for a single TRP driver; in reality, they typically run around 1.6mA. Recom folks suggest their dimming works both PWM and 0-10V, which explains why it works with your DAC.