Analogue clock without using Mechanical Parts..

h8null

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Is it possible to create a analogue clock without using mechanical parts... What I mean is to use an array of LED's ... I am a beginner and would like a detailed diagram and list of components that would be required. Also please tell me if this project would be costly....
Thanks in advance...

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
Right off the top of my head...I am sure someone has been creative with a 555 timer and LED's. Do you want your clock to be strictly analog or just a solid state clock with no mechanical parts?

You have real time clocks, but you have to program those.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

It can't be analog and use digital components. If you use a 555 for the time base, it won't be particularly accurate.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Certainly one may create the illusion of analog activity while using discreet steps. This is how the old "tick-tock" clocks did it.

I've seen pictures of a clock with LEDs arranged in concentric circles.

h8null

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The one using concentric LED's , that's the one which I want.... Any help??? I searched quite a bit for it, but can't seem to make any breakthrough... Would appreciate all the help I can get...

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The one using concentric LED's , that's the one which I want.... Any help??? I searched quite a bit for it, but can't seem to make any breakthrough... Would appreciate all the help I can get...
I think this is what you are looking for.

google with the keywords 72-led clock project

If you are really ambitious take a look at this.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Thanks.... It's been a real help...
No Problem. That is what AAC is here for. Glad we could help move your project forward.

Please update us on the outcome of your project. Posted pictures would really be nice. Many members would enjoy seeing the results of your hard work.

Good Luck,
hgmjr