analogizing logic gates

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi :)

How would you analogize logic gates? For example, voltage could be though of as a pressure, transistor could be thought of as device with three gates where middle gate control anything passing thru other two gates, diode could be though as valve which lets flows only in one direction. Perhaps, my examples are not very precise and accurate but you get the idea what I'm after. Thank you.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Simple with gates,for example you are in a room and getting out of the room in a logical way.
1) OR - The room have two doors you can use any of them to get out.
2) AND - The room have two doors one after another so just using one door you can't get out of the room ,you have to use both the doors,cross the first one then the other.

May be some other member could give you a more good solution....

Good Luck

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Diode OR and AND gates definitely fall under the category of analog. I've seen them used as part of the feedback for an op amp circuit to select the highest or lowest voltage, but when used properly they are also digital gates. When using one diode gate before the other you need to look extremely closely at the analog aspects.

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Hi PG1995!
What a brilliant idea! Of course you are right! Everything is possible. If we see at nano scale or rather pico scale, a step signal seems to be converted into an analog signal and hence your theory perfectly fit there.

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Simple with gates,for example you are in a room and getting out of the room in a logical way.
1) OR - The room have two doors you can use any of them to get out.
2) AND - The room have two doors one after another so just using one door you can't get out of the room ,you have to use both the doors,cross the first one then the other.

May be some other member could give you a more good solution....

Good Luck
debijit625! free ideas are worthy of compliment not of mocking. Don't you see, you are going against your own signature quotation!

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
I have no idea what you are talking about.....:confused:
The way you responded the post, is a good example to teach gates but in perspective of the question raised, seemed a bit harsh. Any way, no hard feelings, just a friendly suggestion. If you are hurt, I am apologizing the gates!

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I was not harsh,do anybody else felt that?if yes then what is it?
And I am not hurt by your reply,I am just confused.:confused:

Sometimes I get confused by loosewire's post...:D

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
And I am not hurt by your reply,I am just confused.:confused:

Sometimes I get confused by loosewire's post...:D
As far as I can tell I wasn't hurt. But then my ability to understand English is not good enough to get offended! :)

Best wishes
PG

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
No, I didn't think you were harsh at all. Ironically, I thought that tgotwalt1158 was being sarcastic in his post number 4. So, I guess it's easy to misinterpret someone's intentions. :)

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
No, I didn't think you were harsh at all. Ironically, I thought that tgotwalt1158 was being sarcastic in his post number 4. So, I guess it's easy to misinterpret someone's intentions. :)
Perhaps the right word would be sarcastic not harsh. If you see the PG's post, he does not seem to be unaware about the gates, rather he was trying to present something novel, and therefore his honest attempt deserves appreciation. I was just trying to support morally PG, and what I stated in my post no. 4, is in line to PG's idea. The exclamation in my sentence was just to cheer up PG not to hurt him at all, honest!

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Perhaps the right word would be sarcastic not harsh. If you see the PG's post, he does not seem to be unaware about the gates, rather he was trying to present something novel, and therefore his honest attempt deserves appreciation. I was just trying to support morally PG, and what I stated in my post no. 4, is in line to PG's idea. The exclamation in my sentence was just to cheer up PG not to hurt him at all, honest!
Thank you for the appreciation and we all are okay now.:) That's a good thing about this forums that majority of the members are knowledgeable without being arrogant.

Best wishes
PG

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Thank you for the appreciation and we all are okay now.:) That's a good thing about this forums that majority of the members are knowledgeable without being arrogant.

Best wishes
PG
Yeah PG! I totally agree with you, this is a good forum with equally good members, no doubt about that!