Analog Electronics -How can I learn about op amps?

eCaleb

Joined Feb 11, 2022
Hello Forums, advice on how to go about learning Analog electronics plus project you'd advice me to work on ?

I've been on it for a while now reading and learning about semi conductor devices coupled with some hands on project, but I'd like know if there's something I'm missing out, the reason for my question above.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I suggest learning about operational amplifiers (op amps) since they are the swiss army knife of analog circuits.

A good way to understand how the circuits work is to use a Spice analog simulator such as the free LTspice from Analog Devices.
It has a somewhat steep learning curve, but there are tutorials, and sample circuits to help learn.
We can also help you here with any questions about that.
Spice allows you to easily build virtual circuits and probe all the various circuit voltages, currents and power -- something that can be difficult to do with real circuits.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
It depends on what division of analogue electronics you are interested in - audio frequency or radio frequency?
I'd recommend learning how to build an audio power amplifier. That is the ultimate low-frequency analogue electronics project.
Read Doug Self's books. Start with Small Signal Audio
Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition (2020); Routledge; ISBN 9780367468958
which deals with op-amps, then mode on to discrete transistor circuitry in power amplifiers
Audio Power Amplifier Design 6th edition (2013); Focal Press; ISBN 9780240526133
The Art Of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill is a good starting point if Small Signal Audio too advanced.

Analog Circuit Design
by Jim Williams is a really interesting book to read but I don't think you'd learn much design from it.
Troubleshooting Analog Circuits by Bob Pease ISBN 978-0750694995
is great to have if things don't quite go to plan (and they rarely do in analogue design)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Before getting into anything you need to learn about circuit analysis, at least the basics. this would start with DC circuit analysis and then add on AC circuit analysis. Until you understand about voltage drops across resistances it is difficult to understand what is happening in a circuit.
So the very first thing is understanding the foundation. After that, understanding circuits is possible.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Without an adequate understanding of the foundation concepts and relationships one is simply following recipes. That can be a lot of fun, and produce useful items, but it is still a collection of magic, good enough until something without an available recipe is wanted. That is the reason for my suggesting a study of the basics, which are more than just ohm's laws.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Actually, building something from a kit or a "recipe" is great if, after you have got it working, you take the trouble to find out how it works.
But if it doesn't work when you build it, what are you going to do if you don't understand how it should work?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It seems that the thread title has changed since members started offering suggestions. If you want to learn about opamps,
  1. learn how the voltage gain equations were derived
  2. study opamp parameters until you know what they mean
  3. study schematics for some opamps to understand why input/output voltage swing are limited, slew rate is limited, etc

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Op amps for everyone - Download the last version.

Member ramancini8 is one of the authors.

Basic configurations, I implemented all of them in a breadboard so measuring voltages and currents was not that difficult. This is where I understood them.

Until I was comfortable with the basic concepts I kept using a +/- 9V PSU.

Member audioguru posted this which I kept for when I was in doubt.

PSU for op amps.gif

Buena suerte

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My first scratch-built project, built from a copy of a circuit that a friend had built that looked great and was fun to use, was indeed an audio amplifier. Two triode stages in a 6SN7 tube driving a 6V6 tetrode power tube, with a 5Y3 rectifier to provide the plate voltages. 100% reclaimed parts including tubes, sockets, and controls. It worked the first time turned on. No recollection of what became of it, but a year later I got a tube manual and realized that "miniature" tubes with seven pins took up much less space. So a 12AX7 and 6AQ5 were the tubes in a later version.