Analog Devices to buy Linear Technology

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I wasn't able to click through and actually find a place to download Multisim.

There's some level of angst about the future of LTspice over in the Yahoo user group. I'm a little concerned they'll drop support for us Mac users.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My concern, besides the ones mentioned, is that the innovation of Linear Technology in the design of analog devices will be lost.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm new to this party. What innovations in linear have come along in recent years? Would you categorize the innovations as new or improved?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if the LT product line got pruned. Many of the ICs seem (at least, from the sim models) to have rather similar functionality.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My usual question is: What will be left behind after they merge?
The business "metrics" of both companies are similar. Both are similar in size, percentage put into R&D, and operating margins, and both exceed the industry average by similar amounts. AD paid a real premium as most of the analysts point out. Where are efficiencies to be found in combining two extremely efficient companies?

The biggest reason for such mergers and acquisitions to fail is cultural differences according to Mercer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_(consulting_firm) ). I know nothing about the cultures of the two companies, and none of the few reviews I read about the acquisition mentioned culture. The companies had similar beginnings, so maybe the cultures are compatible.

The position I would like to be in, but am not, is that of an LT stockholder 6 months ago.

John

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If they are smart they will maintain production of current parts to support existing designs for a long time -that's a revenue stream that would be hard to rebuild if lost. They would also figure out a structure that lets each arm operate in its most efficient manner, and that includes the innovate aspects of design.

@wayneh , I don't consider their Mac version to have a Mac interface. It might get them to put some effort into a real GUI that feels like a Mac. In the mean time, there is Windows under VirtualBox for those who need a GUI.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm new to this party. What innovations in linear have come along in recent years? Would you categorize the innovations as new or improved?
I don't know specifically what they've done recently but they have a lot of innovative devices and I would hate to see the development of those slacken.