An SMD Resistor Code I cannot identify

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is certain that the resistor and the circuit board were produced by different companies and designed by different deigners, possibly in different countries. So why should the lettering be the same font???? AND I agree that the value would be about 33 K ohms. 33x 10**3=33000.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
It is certain that the resistor and the circuit board were produced by different companies and designed by different deigners, possibly in different countries. So why should the lettering be the same font???? AND I agree that the value would be about 33 K ohms. 33x 10**3=33000.
When one doesn't yet know it all.......then it seems more prudent to ask, than to assume.
What happens when we "assume" ????

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
It doesn't look toasted. Why not measure it?
Let's say I measure it.
Does that tell me if it's good (or not) if I don't know what the value is supposed to be?

Take SMD 0805 and 1206 capacitors for instance. They generally have no markings.
So when you try to measure them, even if you get a reading, what guarantee do you have it is the correct value?

If you look at this photo, you will see letters on a number of components (or what appears to be letters)
Again, is it better to assume or to ask? (if you have been unable to clarify)

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I have some 2k resistors (labelled 2001) and some 10k resistors (labelled 1002) both using that “straight lines” font.
The only way to tell them apart is with a multimeter.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The fact is that itis not reasonable that a SMT resistor would be marked EEE, while it is entirely reasonable that it would be marked 333. And it would be very unreasonable to think that the same organization that produces resistors would also produce circuit boards.
Measuring the value will provide one of three results: The resistance may be above the marked value by an amount beyond normal tolerance variations, OR it may be within the normal expected range for a resistor marked as 33K ohms, or it may be below that value by some amount. If the value is much above that we can know that either the resistor is open, there is a broken connection, or we read it wrong. If the value is within the expected range, then the resistor is OK, and if the resistance measures below that value, we should reverse the polarity of the measurement and see what we get.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The fact is that it is not reasonable that a SMT resistor would be marked EEE,
Reasonable? <smiles>
A year ago I couldn't tell you what an "SMT" was. I continue to discover new markings and components I have difficulty determining.

The mechanic queried his customer as to why he would continue driving the expensive car with steam pouring from underneath the hood, to which the customer replied......

"I'm simply a humble, neurosurgeon. Forgive my stupidity" :)