An alternative Transistor for this?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
1) Your circuit will not work with a 555 having a power supply of only 3.3V because its datasheet says its minimum supply is 4.5V.
2) The MJE13005A needs a base current much higher than can be supplied by a 555.

Miracletech

Joined Nov 15, 2019
That's not a problem Bro. When one way closes, thousands you don't know are open. I am still Contemplating why his circuit worked for him (HE went against the GODS aka Datasheet of NE555)...

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Maybe he used a Cmos LMC555 or TLC555 instead of an antique NE555. A Cmos 555 has a minimum supply of 1.5V or 2V.
The video has no English, No schematic and no parts list.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Is this what you want?
Input voltage 3.7 to 3.0 V from a 18650 battery. Input current is 4A. Battery life 30 minutes.
output voltage 12V at 1A. 12 watts.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I think this is beyond your ability to make this, but it is a simple one IC boost power supply. Vin 2.7 to 3.7V, out =12V @ 1A.
1577326817281.png
Here is a design with a IC and a MOSFET.
1577327211529.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First, why would anybody consider selecting "Logic Level" devices for a switch-mode power supply. That is a poor choice before you get to the start. And then in post #13 we see a 40 volt power supply.
When the intention is to design a power supply the output voltage and current are the very first thing to define. Next is the source voltage, followed by the level of regulation required. And a stable, efficient, low noise, and reliable switching supply is a challenge to create for an experienced engineer.
Texas Instruments has lots of power supply design software and a large selectio of reference designs and I recommend either their website or some of the other websites of some of the other semiconductor companies. Find a reference design that provides what you need and copy it. And study the explanation of how that design works and you will learn.

Miracletech

Joined Nov 15, 2019
First, why would anybody consider selecting "Logic Level" devices for a switch-mode power supply. That is a poor choice before you get to the start. And then in post #13 we see a 40 volt power supply.
When the intention is to design a power supply the output voltage and current are the very first thing to define. Next is the source voltage, followed by the level of regulation required. And a stable, efficient, low noise, and reliable switching supply is a challenge to create for an experienced engineer.
Texas Instruments has lots of power supply design software and a large selectio of reference designs and I recommend either their website or some of the other websites of some of the other semiconductor companies. Find a reference design that provides what you need and copy it. And study the explanation of how that design works and you will learn.
Ok then. I'll use a BJT for now till I get a FET for this. The problem are not parts, The problem here is just to add the transistor. And oh, by the way, I'm gonna test it with a BJT and if it works out well, fine then. I just wanted to know a Logic Level Mosfet for it, and if I can use a BJT..
If current gives me 1A or less, then no problem.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If you intend to use that 555 timer-based circuit, note that it does not regulate the output voltage in any way.
It's another example of a garbage internet circuit, don't waste your time.

Use an actual switching regulator IC- there is a lot going on there, switchers are a but 50 X harder to design and use than linears.
Use WEBENCH power designer, you will see how these things really work.

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/t/texas-instruments/webench-design-center