An almost exciting tale from Strantor's real life

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I was working last night in a small cardboard box plant in a small industrial complex in a less than upscale part of town. It was after normal business hours and all of the workers had gone home except for the guy who drew the short straw and had to stay behind with me until I got a printing press up and running. After I finished, I let myself out the back door where my car was parked, while the other guy went out the front and locked up. I barged through the door with both arms full of expensive test equipment and tools, and the door closed and locked behind me. I had just made it to the bottom of the 6' flight of stairs to the parking lot, when 5 muscle-bound, intimidating dudes came sprinting out of the shadows at the other end of the parking lot straight toward me. I just stood there, knowing that I couldn't get back inside, and I couldn't get to my car and get my gun before they got to me. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no chance of putting up a fight. I was ready to just hand over all my stuff and/or take a beating. They got 10 ft away from me, and then all scrambled 180 degrees and fled back into the shadows. I just stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds trying to figure out what the heck just happened. I looked behind me to see if Iron Man or the Hulk was there; nothing. After they had disappeared into the shadows again, I heard one of them call out "2 more to go!" Then I saw the cone. 10 ft away, where they had reversed course. They were running wind sprints. As I drove away, I saw the glowing sign of the gym. Odd place for a gym, in an industrial complex.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I was working last night in a small cardboard box plant in a small industrial complex in a less than upscale part of town. It was after normal business hours and all of the workers had gone home except for the guy who drew the short straw and had to stay behind with me until I got a printing press up and running. After I finished, I let myself out the back door where my car was parked, while the other guy went out the front and locked up. I barged through the door with both arms full of expensive test equipment and tools, and the door closed and locked behind me. I had just made it to the bottom of the 6' flight of stairs to the parking lot, when 5 muscle-bound, intimidating dudes came sprinting out of the shadows at the other end of the parking lot straight toward me. I just stood there, knowing that I couldn't get back inside, and I couldn't get to my car and get my gun before they got to me. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no chance of putting up a fight. I was ready to just hand over all my stuff and/or take a beating. They got 10 ft away from me, and then all scrambled 180 degrees and fled back into the shadows. I just stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds trying to figure out what the heck just happened. I looked behind me to see if Iron Man or the Hulk was there; nothing. After they had disappeared into the shadows again, I heard one of them call out "2 more to go!" Then I saw the cone. 10 ft away, where they had reversed course. They were running wind sprints. As I drove away, I saw the glowing sign of the gym. Odd place for a gym, in an industrial complex.
Sounds like someone needed a new set of underwear after that ....

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good one, strantor. The closest I have to that is the day I got my hand caught between an air handler and the drain pan.:eek:
If I did not demand that the sheet metal shop fold over all the top edges, I'd be signed in here as, "Lefty".:D

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
and I couldn't get to my car and get my gun before they got to me. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no chance of putting up a fight. I was ready to just hand over all my stuff and/or take a beating. They got 10 ft away from me, and then all scrambled 180 degrees and fled back into the shadows. I just stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds trying to figure out what the heck just happened.
Given that they were in a full run, they were covering approximately 20-25 feet per second. In one second, it's almost too late to put down your tools (or Christmas packages) and draw. Fifty feet would have called for action, unless there was something obvious about them (all dressed in gym clothes) that reduced your anxiety. If they were all in hoodies, that's a different scenario.

And the possibility of you going to jail for pulling a gun on someone because you felt threatened..
Most people hope to never have to draw on anyone, but they have a right to protect their family and themselves from the threat of serous bodily injury and/or death, and most are legally allowed to do so. At least, that's the case in Tennessee and surrounding states. I don't know about Chicago, New York city, Washington, D. C., and other such places where the gun laws are most oppressive. I don't go there unless there's no option. In fact, I once drove several miles out of my way to avoid traveling through Nebraska because my carry permit wasn't valid there.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In fact, I once drove several miles out of my way to avoid traveling through Nebraska because my carry permit wasn't valid there.
Several miles? Nebraska is a huge state, you were very lucky to have an option to avoid Nebraska by only driving several miles.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Most people hope to never have to draw on anyone, but they have a right to protect their family and themselves from the threat of serous bodily injury and/or death, and most are legally allowed to do so. At least, that's the case in Tennessee and surrounding states. I don't know about Chicago, New York city, Washington, D. C., and other such places where the gun laws are most oppressive. I don't go there unless there's no option. In fact, I once drove several miles out of my way to avoid traveling through Nebraska because my carry permit wasn't valid there.
And Texas is a firm believer in the right to defend yourself.
I understand but he would have pulled a gun out on unarmed people ....
In the same instance what would you have done if you where doing what they where doing and someone pulled a gun on you ????

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you feel threatened pulling a gun is not going to get you into trouble. If you start talking trash or threatening them yourself then you have problems.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If you feel threatened pulling a gun is not going to get you into trouble. If you start talking trash or threatening them yourself then you have problems.
What if they pulled guns too ???
They where threatened by him pulling a gun and they have a right to defend themselves too right ???

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
And the possibility of you going to jail for pulling a gun on someone because you felt threatened..
In the same instance what would you have done if you where doing what they where doing and someone pulled a gun on you ????
I understand your point and I would not like to have a gun pulled on me for doing wind sprints. But if that did happen to me, (as long as I wasn't shot) I would be able to view the situation objectively and not hold a grudge.

The guys were not guilty of anything, but the scenario is understandably scary. If what appeared at first glance (because all you get is a glance) to be a gang of miscreants were to appear out of nowhere and run you and your family down in a deserted mall parking lot, what would you estimate is the likelihood that they are in fact not out to harm you & yours, but are actually just chasing a dragonfly? In the moment, I would (I did) not even consider the possibility that they might not have ill intent.

If a gun were pulled, and I went to court (I wouldn't, but if I did), there would be no case. Common sense applies in the court room. It would be obvious that I felt my life was in danger, and as long as nobody got hurt, No harm, no foul. I could probably even get away with shooting someone dead in that scenario, or at least get a short sentence for manslaughter. It happens often; there was a high profile case of this recently in Florida, I'm sure you've heard of it - and that guy was chasing the guy he shot! I was being chased so I thought!

...now somebody please twist that last paragraph around to make it sound like I am out looking for an opportunity to shoot someone.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I like to think I would have not been part of a group of five men running up on a lone person at night in an industrial parking lot. But if I had been, and he pulled a gun on me, I would have stopped, put up my hands, and as quickly and succinctly as possible, explained that I was not a threat, and that I was sorry I appeared to be a threat, and asked him please not to shoot.

I would hope that he heard me, believed me, and didn't shoot me. If he did shoot, I wouldn't like it, but I would be hard pressed to claim he wasn't within his rights. It's not only the gun carrier that has to be responsible for his own actions; everyone bears that same duty. To quote a famous book, "Avoid all appearance of evil."

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Fortunately I live in a country where the likely hood of being gunned down by a nut case with a gun is much less of a threat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7FDTpzGvo
Max.
I also live in country with strict gun control. The likelihood of being held at gunpoint by some hotshot is minimal almost zero. As people are not allowed to carry guns on a general basis. I am a indeed a supporter for very strict gun control. But not unacquainted with weapons. As I served about 10 years in the national guard as sergeant.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But not unacquainted with weapons. As I served about 10 years in the national guard as sergeant.
I too served for a couple of years at her Majesty's pleasure, after receiving an 'Invitation' from her in my youth.
Made it to the Rifle Team as a marksman, but fortunately it was a time that I did not have to Kill anyone.
Max.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In the countries with "strict" gun control laws, does the criminal element have "guns"?

Washington DC has some of the strictest gun control laws, yet, the murder rate is still high. Too bad the criminal element there knows the general population is unarmed and them being armed gives the criminal element a huge advantage.