Amplifier mute control

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi Guys

Right then my latest weird and wacky circuit involves the control of a the mute function on an AN5279 Amplifier chip. The amplifier circuit itself is very simple requiring only a minimum of parts to get it running.

This project will run on 12VDC.

2 pins of the chip require 5V as a control voltage. The standby pin needs 5V +VE for the amplifier to be 'ON' A simple resistor potential divider will be used to attain this .

Now the mute pin responds to 2 states or inputs. +VE 5V will mute the output. 0V will un mute the output.

My intention is to use a 7555 timer circuit to control the speed at which this mute happens. I am not looking to turn the mute on and then off when I want this is a permanent cycle running at whatever speed I set the timer to run at.

Now the bit where I lose it is the actual joining of the 7555 output to the mute control. I believe I need a transistor driven by the 7555. The collector goes to +VE supply with 2 resistors in line to form the resistor potential divider for the 5V needed to control the mute.

So when the transistor is off the mute pin gets the +VE 5V so the chip is muted. When the transistor receives a signal from the 7555 it opens and the mute pin is taken to 0V or GND.

I attach a diagram of my intention. Have I got it right as far as the interface of the 7555 to the mute pin is concerned?

regards

Fenris

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In your schematic the mute input will be VCC or the voltage of the divider.

Here I have made a little change.

The transistor will pull down the mute input.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. I am just breadboarding the amplifier on it's own to check it is working. The I have a 556 chip setup from a prior experiment so I will integrate that as soon as I know alls well.

regards

Fenris

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There will be some delay in the reaction time for the mute.
There are a resistor of 8K2 and a capacitor of 10 μF at the mute input.

Greetings,
Bertus

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Thanks Bertus. That will need addressing as well then. But for now neither the AN5279 or the AN5276 show any sign of life. Iam checking my wiring but so far nothing obvious is amiss. Ho Hummmmmmm!

regards

Fenris

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi chaps

I can't believe that all the chips are duff. Here is the data sheet page for the AN5279. It shows how to connect it up. I had a potential divider network to set the 5V needed to ensure that the standby was off so the amp was running. The mute was taken straight to GND so that the mute was off. the IN GND and OUT GND were seperate from the supply GND and each other.

Have I missed something? Or is there more to it than the seemingly simple diagram The Supply was 12VDC.

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Hello,

There will be some delay in the reaction time for the mute.
There are a resistor of 8K2 and a capacitor of 10 μF at the mute input.

Greetings,
Bertus
Actually, the mute ON time constant is ((15k||20k)+8.2k)*10uF=168mS. The mute OFF time constant is 82mS.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Hi chaps

I can't believe that all the chips are duff. Here is the data sheet page for the AN5279. It shows how to connect it up. I had a potential divider network to set the 5V needed to ensure that the standby was off so the amp was running. The mute was taken straight to GND so that the mute was off. the IN GND and OUT GND were seperate from the supply GND and each other.

Have I missed something? Or is there more to it than the seemingly simple diagram The Supply was 12VDC.
See the explanation below.

Attachments

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi chaps

Thanks for the input. I will try again today with the chip.

AudioGuru, Not really but this is primarily a test to see if the idea of controlling the mute control as I intend is feasible. If it works as I hope then I will be on the hunt for a 12V chip with at least 5W or one that can be BTL'd with itself for greater output.

regards

Fenris

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi Chaps

Well it does live! Thanks Ron for pointing out what, to me, was a bit confusing. I will now attempt to fire up the timer control and see where we go from there :D

regards

Fenris

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi Chaps. I need your help on this final part of the puzzle. I have setup the mute control as in the diagram that Ron corrected for me. But the amp doesn't mute under the control of the 555/2N3904 control. Any hints?

Attachments

Fenris

Joined Oct 21, 2007
Hi Bertus

There is no physical switch. I am trying to control the mute function purely with the transistor if possible. I even bypassed the mute timing components and made the 555 timer very slow to see if that helped.

It seems very simple to do. 0V and the amp is active. pull the fly wire and it stops IE floating..............A thought occurs to me.........Im using a NPN transistor would a PNP be a better option?

regards

Fenris

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Does the voltage on the collector of the transistor react on the pulses from the NE555?
If not lower the base resistor a bit.

Greetings,
Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have looked at the datasheet.
The transistor can be ommitted.
The NE555 when powerd at + 5 Volts will drive the mute directly.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An NE555 is an ordinary 555 and is completely different to the Cmos ICM7555 that you should use. An LMC555 and a TLC555 are the same as an ICM7555.