Amp draw for bldc motor used for lathe?

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I have a 24v bldc 400w motor, and I’m planning on using it for a lathe. These are usually used with a battery setup, but I’m planning on using a switching power supply. I’ve been reading up on electric scooter motors and it sounds like they draw 1-5 amps with no load. I found a diagram for my motor 70B448E9-496F-4709-B26D-568E64E8137D.gif
On this diagram it shows a 40 amp switch/40 amp fuse. This is over current protection right? I was planning on using a 500w power supply to play it safe, and give myself some headroom. Is this going to draw a lot of amps if I’m turning metal? I wouldn’t think it would need as much power as pulling a 200lb person up a hill. Will my power supply suffice?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Depending on the size of the lathe, I suspect you may need gearing!
But I would set up a decent capacity supply and take some definitive measurements on the torque capability.
Max.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
But I would set up a decent capacity supply and take some definitive measurements on the torque capability.
Max.
One step ahead, already working out a manual adjustment system with old bicycle gears and chains, and making a tension system to reduce start up jerk,
But probably not as important since I have a speed controlled one now,

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Max.
Also small lathe, only bought a 4 inch chuck. Planning on turning precise metal parts for models (plastic models so a barrel or pipe) in 1/35 scale, I have left over silver so maybe a ring, but mostly I’m interested in making mini machines and engines such as flame licker, steam and sterling

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Many options that some take is to look for Junk or give-away Treadmills, they are a good source of DC motors, 2HP and up, and also the variable speed controllers. ;)
Max.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I have a 24v bldc 400w motor, and I’m planning on using it for a lathe. These are usually used with a battery setup, but I’m planning on using a switching power supply. I’ve been reading up on electric scooter motors and it sounds like they draw 1-5 amps with no load. I found a diagram for my motor View attachment 206611
On this diagram it shows a 40 amp switch/40 amp fuse. This is over current protection right? I was planning on using a 500w power supply to play it safe, and give myself some headroom. Is this going to draw a lot of amps if I’m turning metal? I wouldn’t think it would need as much power as pulling a 200lb person up a hill. Will my power supply suffice?
Just using the motor ratings and Watt's Law: P= IE or I = P/E: I = 400/24. Hence I = 16.66A

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Many options that some take is to look for Junk or give-away Treadmills, they are a good source of DC motors, 2HP and up, and also the variable speed controllers. ;)
Max.
Ahhhh there was a 60$ treadmill I saw a while back but neglected the opportunity :( Will look into them if this doesn't work.