Ambitious Paintball gameplay project

animator303

Joined Aug 27, 2008
I would GREATLY appreciate any help or guidance for this project.

The basic idea behind this is to have 3 bases that can be captured, one at a time, and randomly chosen.
I have written out the logic of this system. It looks like some sort of programming language but Im sure it can be translated onto a PCB of some kind.

I am hoping to use two way radios as the communication devices between the stations like ((THIS))

STATION 1: START

IF signal received
then choose random number (1,2,3)
IF 1 then activate capture process on STATION 1
IF 2 then send signal to STATION 2
IF 3 then send signal to STATION 3

STATION 1 CAPTURE PROCESS:
IF 1
then CAPTURE PROCESS START
then LIGHT SETTING 1 (blink)

IF EXECUTE OFF
then standby
IF EXECUTE ON
then LIGHT SETTING 2 (solid)
then AUDIO signal ON
then 'countdowntimer' START

IF 'countdowntimer' = 0
then LIGHT SETTING 0 (off)
then AUDIO signal OFF
then add score to current TEAM

CAPTURE PROCESS END/

STATION 2 AND 3 CAPTURE PROCESS:

IF receive signal
then CAPTURE PROCESS START
then LIGHT SETTING 1 (blink)

IF EXECUTE OFF
then standby
IF EXECUTE ON
then LIGHT SETTING 2 (solid)
then AUDIO signal ON
then 'countdowntimer' START

IF 'countdowntimer' = 0
then LIGHT SETTING 0 (off)
then AUDIO signal OFF
then add score to current TEAM
then send signal to STATION 1

CAPTURE PROCESS END/

If anyone knows of ready made components that can be used for ANY part of this I would be forever in your debt!

Cheers
-Mike

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
How do you think a list of instructions can be translated to a PCB? A PCB is just a means of making electrical connections, it can't process logic or execute instructions.

Do the 2-way radios transmit data?

I can't claim to fully understand what you're trying to do but due to the amount of logic, a micro-controller would appear to be most realistic way forward.

animator303

Joined Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the response,

Sorry for the very unclear post. I have next to NO experience in this field, and was hoping for some guidance or clarification on what to do to make this happen.

I will try and explain things a bit more in context to help clarify some points.

The stations (3 of them), will be place fairly far apart in a field (with trees and bushes surrounding). I am thinking 100 - 200 meters apart. The Idea behind using the two way radios (which have a 20 km range) is to keep the whole system wireless. So each station will need to be self powered.

The diagram is a very general idea of how I would like each station to function. Before the 'game' starts the CAPTURE time will be decided and selected on each station (5,10,15 or 20). Once that time is set, the stations will be placed in the field.
To CAPTURE a station the player must first find the right station to capture. Hence the flashing light. This will be the only indication as to WHICH station to capture. Once located the player, must 'activate' the station. To do this the player must select his/her team (A,B,C - Alpha Bravo or Charlie) and then press EXECUTE.

This will start the capture timer which will be the amount of time the player must 'defend' the station before winning the point. During this time the light will be in a solid (not flashing) state, to indicate to other teams that this station has been captured already. If an opposing team interrupts (recaptures the station under their team) the countdown, the timer will reset.
If possible I would like to rig a score board to keep track of each teams score hopefully to be displayed on each station as shown in the diagram.
The Audio signal will come from the station to indicate the CAPTURE and TIMER = 0. so that teams will know which direction a station has been captured.

thanks again for your response!
look forward to hearing from you again.
cheers
-Mike

barryusa

Joined Jun 15, 2008
Definitely ambitious and interestng.

As I understand it, you will send a signal to Station 1.

Station 1 will the use a coin toss (3-sided coin) type system to determine the order of the game.

Station 1 will then activate whatever station is first in order.

That station will start flashing a light. How far away does the light need to be visible and will it be used for both day and night games?

When a team finds that station they will log-in so-to-speak which starts the countdown timer, the light will go solid, and an audible tone will sound. As far as the audio signal, do you want an intermittent tone like a locator beacon or a continuous tone until capture? How loud does the tone need to be?

This team must now defend their station, if they can defend it till the timer runs out they will win a point, which will be added to a counter for that team. If the defenders of that team are eliminated then the next team logs-in and the timer resets. This loop will continue until a team has successfully defended that station.

Once the first station has been successfully defended then all teams will then be reborn (or not) and the next station will be activated and the game will continue until all three stations have gone through the cycle.

If this is the end of the game then there would be no need to have a scoreboard at each station, you could just use an indicator light to show which team won that station. If this is not the end of the game then a counter would be needed at each station as you stated.

This could end up being a very long day.:eek:

Are you trying to do this with off-the-self systems (modules) connected together or are you looking to build a system from components?

If you are trying to build this from components do you have someone that is capable of putting it all together?

Either way this could get kind of complicated and very expensive, do you have a budget for this?