Amazon Gift Cards, Credit Check save offers.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, I need some electronics, my order can be reduced from $488 to $288 if I apply for the Amazon Card. Anyone have this card? I typically shop with my credit card from my bank don’t care for other cards, like Lowes, Home Depot if you make multiple purchases payment are reflected on the current purchase not as a total, so if you do a large item 0% offer then smaller purchases and make no payment on the large item then it jumps to 27% interest.

Found that out once when I purchases a Dishwasher and afterward began purchasing smaller items for my home remodel, I went in to pay and asked for my balance after paying and they didn’t say it reflected on the total after questioning the numbers.

Thats bad policy concerning consumer spending, like sheep we follow one after the next until the sheep begin to get it, I began questioning, because back then, what happened to a friend who made a large purchase through sears on their 0% purchase for windows, but he was in worse shape, I could pay the dishwasher off while he had 5k in windows at 27% interest when he missed a payment due date.

Buyer beware. Back to my dilemma, apply or not, bad mojo?

kv

Edit: Now that I think about it, they will make me use the card, if they do a soft credit check to see if I qualify then afterward all my purchases will be applied to that card. Ya, thats their game, plus if you get the card it’s a hard credit check, so if your doing any other loan deals refinancing on your home and such, not a good idea to be doing credit checks on your credit.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My wife has one. She barely uses it but if she does, she pays the whole balance when her statement comes in.
So far one of my items dropped $30 since Monday when I prepared my order, but waited for today, good money. Still saving $200 is tempting even more lunch money saved. Whats their interest rate?

kv

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Buyer beware. Back to my dilemma, apply or not, bad mojo?
I bit on the Amazon card. It's administered by Chase and at the time, no annual fees or usage requirements to get the perks. Unfortunately, they fouled up my name, combining my first name with part of my Amazon screen name (!). To change it required a bunch of notarized documents and legal stuff so I just let it set, spent the cash bonus and moved on.

Sometimes these offers can be worth the effort. I don't do it often but have on occasion opened a savings account, another card etc. to get miles or what not. If there is a spending requirement, I make sure it folds into the regular monthly spending or some other budgeted project. I once opened a no-fee Citibank card that gave me 60K AA miles if I spent $3K in 3 months. I was in the process of building a couple of new computers so spending the required bucks was already on the table. After that, I waited the required amount of time then cancelled the card. The miles got first class tickets to Europe. Nice.

The key is to read the offers carefully and if you bite, treat the new card as an alternate method to handle your current spending or budgeted larger outlay. I have family members that treat each new card as a license to spend an additional $10K-$20K on revolving credit. That isn't wise.

Your comment re: mortgage financing and credit rating is on point. Too much activity on the credit front can raise flags there. My kids were asked to close a couple of cards to keep their credit lines more in line with what the underwriters wanted but it was manageable. OTOH, I once got a small credit score reduction because I wasn't using enough credit services. We are pay the balance at the end of the month people. The industry term for us is 'freeloaders' - we take the offers but don't spend any on interest.

Sounds like you're on top of it.
Have fun!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I got an Amazon card to do what your saying, get the discount. When the bill came I paid the full amount and cut up the card and disposed of it. Have done the same thing with big purchases from Home Depot and Lowes. Sure they send you mail about buying things but just because you have a card in your name doesn't mean you need to use it or even keep it after the discount is gotten.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yup, I got it. It's a great deal, for use on amazon! Free $200 up front and cash back discount on all purchases at amazon. But don't forget to pay it off monthly! For everything else I use my regular cash back for online purchases credit card as it gives a better discount.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I get a chuckle out of the shipping on Amazon, for e.g. the last multi-item order I placed, I could get it in 4 days if I paid the shipping, otherwise I wait 5 days!
The absurd thing was, one item showed up in a record TWO HOURS! , Another in 3 days.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One other interesting thing I found on one Amazon seller, I was looking at a source of auto oil filter, one AC-Delco part No. stated it used Human Hair!!
Never seen that in a filter before.

1653226139552.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The worst thing on Amazon is the product description. A bit better than AliX but not by a whole lot. Usually very vague... You can post questions but good luck getting an answer as it's from other buyers and quite frankly not very reliable.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
For me the worst thing about Amazon is when I place an order for a large amount of items, and they break them down into a crazy number of individual shipments to my locker which is located a good few miles from my home, and I have to walk for each one because of the short amount of time given to pick up.