Aluminum electrolytic capacitors that greatly vary in physical size for same values

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I recently came across a bunch of 25v & 50v caps of values of 10,000uf and 4700uf each (respectively). I have other caps that are of very similar ratings and they are 33-60% of the size of the ones I just received. These "new" caps are from equipment that isn't even 10 years old so I don't know if i t is because these are older and the manufacturing wasn't as good (thicker dialectic, insulator, etc). I've yet to take one apart but I intend to some time.

I've noticed different size caps before but nothing like the difference in these. The problem with these caps is that there isn't much information on them besides V & UF rating, They also say "TSHN, an "M" inside a squared circle, CE and +105C

I was wondering if caps like this that are so much physically larger have any benefits or if they might have something like a lower ESR or something. I've also seen mentioned that larger ones might have or allow for a higher ripple current?

Unfortunately I don't know what kind of equipment these were pulled from other than looking at the circuit boards and seeing the manufacturing date's of 2009 to 2013, so that's about all I have to go in. In addition, the caps were grouped in a set of 6, 2 25v in parallel, 2 50v in parallel and another 2 50v in parallel - and all the caps are identical in physical size, the 50v being about 30% heavier. I'm assuming it was done this was b/c of space considerations or maybe some benefit that larger caps don't have (like a lower total ESR when in parallel?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The ESR can determine the size a bit, and the temperature rating. Also, there are a few standard case sizes that have various values in them. Different chemistries and manufacturers can play a part.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
A lot of these caps are counterfeits and are marked above their actual voltage. There was a "capacitor plague" of these counterfeits around the time you stated. Quite a few manufacturers got burned by these counterfeits in their devices.

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014

Well that is certainly a possiblility, I'll pull one apart here in a few mins but I doubt it is a fake b/c the manufacturer is a pretty high end producer of specialty products and I'm guessing it wouldn't have worked had they been fake.

Those fake caps and some of the fake mosfets (like the ones in the round metal housing) really make my blood boil, especially when they charge like 10-15% below normal price, so it seems like a decent deal, especially if the part is getting rare. IDK how to combat this but I know where the source is...