alternative for MAX038

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Hi Mozikluv,
It seems that MAX038 does the job better than 8038. I got trouble with 8038, I.e It is difficult to balance the wave forms throughout the audio frequency range. I believe that a CCS would help to improve 8038 but I could not find out the schematic. I would appreciate if you could give me any idea. Max 038 is not available at my country.
Thank you
Legac

garish

Joined Jun 28, 2005
hi guys, i am looking for a backup vendor for MAX038, which is a high-frequency waveform generator. I haven't found any useful info so far. Could someone help me with this one? thank you.
Here is the link for MAX038:http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1257
[post=8798]Quoted post[/post]​
heres the link
MAX038
[post=8809]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi mozikluv, thanks for the reply. But you didn't answer my question. I already have the MAX038 from Maxim, what I need is a second source, or another manufacturer who produces the similier IC. thanks

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by legac@Jun 29 2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Mozikluv,
It seems that MAX038 does the job better than 8038. I got trouble with 8038, I.e It is difficult to balance the wave forms throughout the audio frequency range. I believe that a CCS would help to improve 8038 but I could not find out the schematic. I would appreciate if you could give me any idea. Max 038 is not available at my country.
Thank you
Legac
[post=8823]Quoted post[/post]​

hi legac,

am not sure why you are having trouble balancing the waveform. can you show your schem so we'll try to see why?

moz

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by garish@Jun 29 2005, 12:24 PM
Hi mozikluv, thanks for the reply. But you didn't answer my question. I already have the MAX038 from Maxim, what I need is a second source, or another manufacturer who produces the similier IC. thanks
[post=8825]Quoted post[/post]​
hi

if you are looking for a replacement of the MAX038, then there is the ICL8038 or maybe the XR2206 or XR2209

if you are looking another vendorMAX038, ICL8038, XR2206

MAX038

ICL8038

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Originally posted by mozikluv@Jun 30 2005, 08:29 PM
hi legac,

am not sure why you are having trouble balancing the waveform. can you show your schem so we'll try to see why?

moz
[post=8846]Quoted post[/post]​
Hi Mozikluv
Could you please follow this link : http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits...ear/funcgen.htm
I did build that on a relatively well designed etched circuit board, so the parasistic Cap could be minimised. I guest that the problem would be from the low Q capacitor, but unsure.
Regards
Legac

garish

Joined Jun 28, 2005
Originally posted by mozikluv@Jun 30 2005, 09:49 PM
hi

if you are looking for a replacement of the MAX038, then there is the ICL8038 or maybe the XR2206 or XR2209

if you are looking another vendorMAX038, ICL8038, XR2206

MAX038

ICL8038
[post=8850]Quoted post[/post]​
thank you mozikluv.
I am looking for another vendor who can manufacture the similiar IC. I followed your links, but it seems that the only vendor is "Maxim Integrated Products". Is there any other company that produces MAX038 or its alternative? Not like most of the electronic components, which always have more than one manufacture, Max038 seems very unique and only has one vendor which is Maxim Integrated Products.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi garesh,

how many units do you need? if it is just one, maybe you can ask for a sample of the device at Maxim Int. Prod. ;)

hi legac,

i saw the schem and there seems to be nothing wrong. have also noticed the caps connected to pin 10, they are polyester and polystyrene. polystyrene is hard to come by but those caps are essential to that circuit. likewise the variable resistor connected to pin 7 & 8, it should be precision. use Bourns or Tyco pots.

moz

garish

Joined Jun 28, 2005
Originally posted by mozikluv@Jul 6 2005, 03:09 AM
hi garesh,

how many units do you need? if it is just one, maybe you can ask for a sample of the device at Maxim Int. Prod. ;)

moz
[post=8931]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, moz, the reason I am looking for a second source is not because my demand is beyound their capability. Our company has a product which needs this IC, and it is very common for a company to have a second source for the same part, just in case the prior source is dead.
I am stilling looking for it, is there anyone can help? thanks.

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Hi mozikluv
I did think so. The electrolytic was the worse cause. I will try multiturn pot too. I will dig the old military equipment to find it.
Many thanks
Rgds
Legac

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
futurlec still sells it. About $21/part though! They have offices around the world. http://www.futurlec.com
I ordered a pair of them that same day. (10/6/2008)
They took three weeks to arrive (10/27/2008) here in FL from Thailand.
It took them less than 24 hours to post the charge to my account, and a week to ship it. Their 7 to 10 business day estimation to arrive was a tad optimistic, to say the least.

Their prices are pretty good, but I have read of numerous other people having very slow response times from that company. If you don't mind waiting a month for your parts to get to you, and maybe sometimes not showing up at all, then go ahead and use them.

The only way you have to communicate with them is to provide your E-mail address and your order number. If they are out of stock on something, they will hold your order until they can ship it all at once. However, they will charge you the full amount right away.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have ordered from Futurlec a couple of times. One time, I had them ship by express, but they took so long to ship, the package didn't reach me in time. They were very polite, and agreed to refund the express charges. But of course that didn't solve the problem of me not getting the parts in time. Because of that and other problems, such as lack of antistatic packaging and unarutorized substitution of parts, I no longer recommend Futurlec for any parts you really need for anythign in particular.

I don't want to be too discouraging, but I have tried to find an alternative or second source for the MAX038 in the past, and beyond the X-R parts and the now obsolete Intersil part mentioned above, there is nothing purely analog. It seems waveform generation chips of this sort has always been a niche market.

I expect that for the most part, future circuits will have to rely on digital methods, using parts such as Analog Device's AD5930. Of course these parts are probably not second-sourced either :-(

Last edited:

ogreowner

Joined Oct 14, 2009
To the chagrin of those of us who want to build a function generator using the MAX038, their website says that the chips were built by an outside wafer fabrication house using a process that is no longer available. From this observers viewpoint, there probably is not enough demand for Maxim to take the masks to another place and get some parts made or to update the masks for current technologies. I wonder if somebody out there has an antiquated process line that could make the MAX038 chip and sell it to the world again....