Aliens at last?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If the radio bursts do turn out to be beacons from extraterrestrials, which is a possibility that can't be ruled out, then there are some exciting but scary scenarios to consider. FRBs would not be easy messages to send. The amount of energy required to send such powerful bursts from another galaxy is hard to fathom. Such alien technology would be far more advanced than anything we can imagine, with the ability to harness power equivalent to the sun.
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/sp...ical-radio-waves-deep-space-baffle-scientists

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Tesla claimed to have discovered similar electronic "bursts" around the turn of the 20th century:

"As I was improving my machines for the production of intense electrical actions, I was also perfecting the means for observing feeble efforts. One of the most interesting results, and also one of great practical importance, was the development of certain contrivances for indicating at a distance of many hundred miles an approaching storm, its direction, speed and distance traveled....
"It was in carrying on this work that for the first time I discovered those mysterious effects which have elicited such unusual interest. I had perfected the apparatus referred to so far that from my laboratory in the Colorado mountains I could feel the pulse of the globe, as it were, noting every electrical change that occurred within a radius of eleven hundred miles.
"I can never forget the first sensations I experienced when it dawned upon me that I had observed something possibly of incalculable consequences to mankind. I felt as though I were present at the birth of a new knowledge or the revelation of a great truth.... My first observations positively terrified me, as there was present in them something mysterious, not to say supernatural, and I was alone in my laboratory at night; but at that time the idea of these disturbances being intelligently controlled signals did not yet present itself to me.
The changes I noted were taking place periodically and with such a clear suggestion of number and order that they were not traceable to any cause known to me. I was familiar, of course, with such electrical disturbances as are produced by the sun, Aurora Borealis, and earth currents, and I was as sure as I could be of any fact that these variations were due to none of these causes. The nature of my experiments precluded the possibility of the changes being produced by atmospheric disturbances, as has been rashly asserted by some.
It was sometime afterward when the thought flashed upon my mind that the disturbances I had observed might be due to an intelligent control. Although I could not decipher their meaning, it was impossible for me to think of them as having been entirely accidental. The feeling is constantly growing on me that I had been the first to hear the greeting of one planet to another. A purpose was behind these electrical signals...."
He later wrote a letter to the Red Cross describing what he believed to be communication from extraterrestrials:

To the American Red Cross, New York City. The retrospect is glorious, the prospect inspiring: Much might be said of both. But one idea dominates my mind. This - my best, my dearest - is for your noble cause. I have observed electrical actions, which have appeared inexplicable. Faint and uncertain though they were, they have given me a deep conviction and foreknowledge that are ere long all human beings on this globe, as one, will turn their eyes to the firmament above, with feelings of love and reverence, thrilled by the glad news: "Brethren! We have a message from another world, unknown and remote. It reads: one… two… three…"
In 1901 he wrote an article that was published in Collier's Weekly, an American journal, called "Talking With The Planets". The article can be read in its entirety here:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1901talk.htm

Whether you believe in extraterrestrials or not, I find it interesting that Tesla mentioned receiving these signals over a century ago, and was regarded as a lunatic. Now scientists are suggesting something very similar.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
... I find it interesting that Tesla mentioned receiving these signals over a century ago, and was regarded as a lunatic. Now scientists are suggesting something very similar.
Personally, I very much doubt this is the real thing (though I posted it because I found it interesting)
I think that finding ET is just a matter of time

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Personally, I very much doubt this is the real thing (though I posted it because I found it interesting)
I think that finding ET is just a matter of time
I am always skeptical about these sorts of things, but I don't disregard them altogether. I believe there is another explanation for this besides being intelligent extraterrestrial life, but I can't say it definitely isn't.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am always skeptical about these sorts of things, but I don't disregard them altogether. I believe there is another explanation for this besides being intelligent extraterrestrial life, but I can't say it definitely isn't.
I feel exactly the same way

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Interesting and scary at the same time... View attachment 90437
Lots of possibilities. My first response to Alien contact is why would they care unless there was something unique on this planet that was not seen on countless billions of others if life is everywhere in the universe or it could be that Aliens have visited and found no signs of intelligent life on Earth.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
And, further, why would they choose to expend the energy required to annihilate us?
Maybe because it's fun or just pest control. The amount of energy needed to annihilate us is trivial to the energy required for interstellar travel of a shuttle size craft at close to light speed.