Agilent Meter 34410a - using with a serial port

RrnR

Joined Aug 7, 2016
We have legacy systems using the HP/Agilent 34401 meter and associated software that uses RS-232 to communicate with the meter. We now have to interface with the newer 34410a which does not have a serial port.

The associated software baggage that comes with the 34410a is immense, but still doesn't seem to virtualise a serial port interface to enable the meter to be communicated with software that talks via a COM port.

Unless I'm mistaken - that would be nice. Has anyone met/solved this problem, or am I faced with writing more code?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you are intending to buy, or have already bought, the new meter, then your best place to get a good answer to this question is HP.
I have found them very helpful in the past - they may even have some code solutions. You are unlikely to be the only one with this problem.

RrnR

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Thanks for your reply. There is sample code with the meter, but it is based on using their software interface to the meter, which - although very powerful - suffers badly from the software bloat I have come to expect from HP.

I was hoping for a solution that avoided having to write code, and avoided having to install most of the behemoth on the CD.