After market ignition key and remote?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
As a last resort you may want to check your local ACE hardware store if they can work with your car. My beater pickup is a used Ford F150 I only got one key figuring making a 2nd was nothing. Turns out it has an RFID chip or such in the key itself, and you need two valid keys to unlock the system to accept a third key (up to 8 I believe). If no 2nd key you need a locksmith with an override signal generator unit. I have not researched that option.
What ACE can do for you is to clone the code off the existing key. You still need the locksmith to make arbitrary keys but you do get an extra key that works. Cost os $80 for this service.
However, for 10 bucks I got a slim jim I hide under the bed liner. With that I can open the door when I lock myself out with the key inside. Takes a few minutes to pop the door, then about 10 minutes (at a later time) to replace the interior lock bar.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I bought a 2010 GMC in Feb. Went to the ACE hardware store for a spare key. First thing they did was stick the key into some sort of reader, told me the key had a "chip" and they couldn't duplicate it. I explained I just wanted it to unlock the door, in case I locked my keys inside. She said she'd have to check with her manager.
He came up front and assured me the key would not start the truck, I told him that's exactly what I needed. They both seemed puzzled by my reply, but cut a new key for me.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As a last resort you may want to check your local ACE hardware store if they can work with your car. My beater pickup is a used Ford F150 I only got one key figuring making a 2nd was nothing. Turns out it has an RFID chip or such in the key itself, and you need two valid keys to unlock the system to accept a third key (up to 8 I believe). If no 2nd key you need a locksmith with an override signal generator unit. I have not researched that option.
What ACE can do for you is to clone the code off the existing key. You still need the locksmith to make arbitrary keys but you do get an extra key that works. Cost os $80 for this service.
However, for 10 bucks I got a slim jim I hide under the bed liner. With that I can open the door when I lock myself out with the key inside. Takes a few minutes to pop the door, then about 10 minutes (at a later time) to replace the interior lock bar.

You got to watch messing with a slim jim. There are reports that you can set off the air bag (should you have one in the door). Mythbusters tried to confirm the rumor but thaey were not able. Still does not mean it can't happen.

I wonder why you need two keys??

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You got to watch messing with a slim jim. There are reports that you can set off the air bag (should you have one in the door). Mythbusters tried to confirm the rumor but thaey were not able. Still does not mean it can't happen.

Obviously, you can't prove a negative, i.e., that something won't happen. That doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

As for why, modern cars are relatively theft proof compared to those of more than two decades ago. An extra key can prevent doing a lot of damage, should you accidentally lock your key in the car. Keyless entry is nice for that.

John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Obviously, you can't prove a negative, i.e., that something won't happen. That doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

As for why, modern cars are relatively theft proof compared to those of more than two decades ago. An extra key can prevent doing a lot of damage, should you accidentally lock your key in the car. Keyless entry is nice for that.

John

The problem with keyless and most of those options for that matter, is they ussully only come on the more expensive models of a particular car. I sure miss the days when you would have a car built for you off of a list of options.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I guess I lost track of this thread. Aren't you the TS who asked about getting an extra key? Are you now wondering why you want it? Is that an electronic question or something that requires deeper insight?
What are my options for getting a spare key and remote for my 2015 Subaru other than going to the dealer. Are there after market keys with chips that can be programmed by me?
<snip>
Oh and those Toyota keys? They came in the mail about a week after I lost them. Some nice lady found them and used the customer loyalty card from a local store to find my address.
John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I guess I lost track of this thread. Aren't you the TS who asked about getting an extra key? Are you now wondering why you want it? Is that an electronic question or something that requires deeper insight?

John

TS??? Just getting a new vehicle and one of the top things on my list is to get at least a third key if it is not too expensive.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Would be nice to know why some systems require 2 programmed keys.
Sorry, I read the earlier comment out of context, as it came pretty late in the thread after I had mentioned the need for two programmed keys to program a third key.

My experience was related to either an older Honda or F150 Ford. I don't remember which, and the reason for needing two keys was not given. I suspect it is a security measure, so people with bad intent, such as a dishonest valet, cannot make copies using just a single key.

Also, the principle behind it was not explained. However, it is not hard to guess at least one way to do it. Remember, the codes are rolling and are determined by some algorithm and/or seed number. Thus, if you use different keys in the same car, the car code and either key code will not be exactly the same, but they will be related by the algorithm/seed, so both keys work. When programming, you need to unlock the new key. That lock may require the reception of two different codes that are related by a common algorithm or seed. I have no idea how many different algorithms and/or seeds exist for a particular key system.

John

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011

No airbags in the door on my pickup.

You need two keys to keep the valet attendant from making his own fully functional key from the single key you give him.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No airbags in the door on my pickup.

You need two keys to keep the valet attendant from making his own fully functional key from the single key you give him.
Ernie,
That's a high falutin' pickup truck you must have! Valet parking and worth stealing vs. all the other vehicles in the lot.:p:)

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The airbag isn't inside the door with the locking mechanism, wouldn't do you any good there. They're in the passenger compartment , with a plastic cover.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The airbag isn't inside the door with the locking mechanism, wouldn't do you any good there. They're in the passenger compartment , with a plastic cover.
The door-mounted side impact air bags are in the door and blow through the plastic trim to the interior of the vehicle. The wires and mounting hardware are defiantly inside the door (of vehicles with door-mounted side airbags) where the slim-Jim might be poking.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle Shoppers/Air Bags/Side-Impact Air Bags

When the window is up, there is not a lot to differentiate between interior and exterior sides of the door cavity.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Think you'll find they are actually in the upholstery part of the door. There behind the upholstery the is a lot of steel with stiffening ribs. The lock rods that work with a slimjim are now in a plastic channel though, to keep a slimjim from working. But they do have model specific ones for a lot of cars.

Or some tow truck drivers use plastic wedges to 'spring' the upper window frame and the use a slimjim or rod to lift the lock switch.