Advice reqd. Solar charging a 6vSLA battery

YorkshireDave

Joined Jun 12, 2016
Yet another 'cobble together' project...
I have 3 little 6v solar panels which I'd like to use to charge a 6v sealed lead acid battery when it's not running our home made garden fairy lights.
Can anyone advise on how I boost the op voltage to the 7.2v (?) needed to charge said battery?
Im aware boost circuits exist, but I'd like to understand a bit more.
I have lots of parts 'knocking around' too so would like to make it if possible.
Thanks

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Using a boost converter comes with a cost in energy depending on the efficiency of the converter. Before you even worry aboyt that you need to know how much power the solar panels can deliver. Then consider the panel ratings are only under full direct sunlight. You can also likely buy a boost converter off the boat for much less than the cost of DIY. Most are based on chips designed for their application.

Ron

YorkshireDave

Joined Jun 12, 2016
Thanks Ron. Afraid Ive no idea of their current output. None have any markings at all. To be honest, I'm not overly bothered if once a month I have to 'manually' top it up on a proper charger.
Do these boost converters you refer to have adjustable inputs & outputs?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
They normally have an input range with an adjustable output. Here is an example of one. A Google of Boost Converter Amazon should get you a few dozen hits. A Google of boost converter circuits will bring up a few dozen circuits. :) The ones in the link work out to be about $0.50 each.

Ron