Advanced irrigation system for agricultural

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
I want to make irrigation system to control agricultural motor pump remotely. anyone here has done this type of project. I have done some research about it

This system can be design in two ways
  • Advanced irrigation system GSM Based
  • Advanced irrigation system ESP8266 based
I'm confused with right one. I would appreciate your idea on this project.

Which method would you suggest me and why the specific one ?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You have posted a pretty vague question.
Here are some others points that need an answer for a start...

How remote is the pump?
What power supply is available?
What is the pump power usage?
Do you want monitoring?
Is the pump location changeable?

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
You have posted a pretty vague question.
Here are some others points that need an answer for a start...
Hello dendad

Thanks for responding on this project. You have mentioned very good point. I haven't selected any specific bore well pump yet

What power supply is available?
Single phase and Three phase 240v - 500 V
Do you want monitoring?
Yes I want to monitor water pump (when it was on/off)
Is the pump location changeable?
No Its bore well water pump so the location will not change

I wanted to select way to design system at very first then I will do research about bore well water pump

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
GSM based has ongoing network costs but has the advantage of being accesable over a long distance.
ESP8266 is WiFi and usually short distance. But can be increased with the use of directional antennae.
Are you intending to make this yourself, or buy an off the shelf system?

For short range WiFi switching, have a look at Sonoff devices. There is quite an active hacking comminity for them too.

https://www.itead.cc/ is the web site to start looking from. There are quite a few in the lineup.
Depending on the pump, switch a contactor from the Sonoff, not run the pump directly from it.

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
GSM based has ongoing network costs but has the advantage of being accesable over a long distance.
ESP8266 is WiFi and usually short distance. But can be increased with the use of directional antennae.
Are you intending to make this yourself, or buy an off the shelf system?
I am college student I want to make system myself for poor farmers. Their farms are far from home. they have to go to the farms from their home again and again for irrigation of water. I think this is a big problem.

ESP8266 : If I use ESP8266 then farmer has to pay the bills of internet every months

GSM based : The cost of mobile phone call is less

My main constraint is cost. Farmers are very poor and they can not afford costly product.

Last edited: