ADD mode adding logic signals test

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
Did you turn the trace down to a slow speed before trying the ALT vs CHOP?

yes, what happens in the slow speed is the ALT displays trace ch1 FIRST then displays trace ch2 AFTER. It will flicker back and forth between ch1 and ch2. It is horrible to try to take a time measurement.

In CHOP mode it slices up the waveform in sections of the ch1 and ch2. It is horrible to try to take a time measurement

I thought the ALT mode and CHOP mode is for Oscope that are only for single beam Oscopes which can't display two channels at one time. They use the Alt mode or CHOP mode to "multiplex" ch1 and ch2 onto one trace or single beam

In CHOP mode

Using a single-beam CRT, they multiplex the inputs, usually switching between them fast enough to display two traces apparently at once.

ALT causes the beam to alternate between the two input channels every trigger

Dual mode the signals in channel 1 and 2 appear to be displayed on the screen at the same time

ALT MODE: alternating between both channels on each sweep

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Most oscilloscopes have a single electron gun. The two displays are generated by placing different time slices of the beam at different places on the screen. The time slices that are displaced are either a full timebase scan (ALT) or a higher frequency time slice (CHOP) which will move between Chan A and Chan B many, many times during the time of one timebase scan. When in the Navy, we had one piece of equipment that had 5 individual guns in one CRT. It also had 5 individual time bases that ran simultaneously, with each timebase assigned to a specific gun.

The best way to learn to use an oscilloscope is to come up with some signals to look at. The picture I posted earlier of the CHOP vs ALT traces was generated by looking at two different outputs of a CD4040 counter driven by a clock oscillator. Other devices can be used as a source of things to look at. Do you have any old TV remote controls around? Connect your scope across the IR LED and push a button. Do you experiment with an Arduino? Set up a program to cycle two I/O pins hi/lo at different rates and look at them.

Again, the best way to learn to use a scope is to use it.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Earlier, you asked when to use ALT or CHOP. If the timebase you are using causes flicker between Chan 1 and Chan2 when using ALT, I switch to CHOP. If the timebase is at a high rate, I use ALT.

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
Do when do you use CHOP mode? for what AC frequencies and when do you use the CHOP mode for logic TTL or CMOS circuits?

You used the CHOP mode when measuring the logic signal and clock signal, but why the CHOP mode?

It says in Tektronix Manuals to use the CHOP mode for low frequency's or when the time base is set in the Milliseconds and to use the ALT mode when the time base is set to microseconds for higher frequency's

Mostly when I use the Oscilloscope , I set it to ALT mode and set the channels to BOTH mode, I use vertical mode for the triggering.

It says in a oscilloscope manual
INVERT HINT
When you triggered on the signal you Inverted
The Triggered signal what was a rising edge is now a falling edge
If the signal has a 50% duty cycle the waveform will not invert
The signals with a duty cycle other than 50% WILL INVERT

The only times I use the ADD mode is for
1,) To inject a Positive or Negative DC voltage source into an unused Oscope channel to add DC offset or subtract the DC offset
2.) To inject a Sync Pulse or sync signal source into an unused Oscope channel
3.) To Compare a good working board to a board under test or a Bad Board
4.) To Compare logic transition times
5.) To Cancel out an AC or DC component
6.) To Get the difference or differential voltage
7.) What else can it do? please add onto the list?

When would you use the ADD mode for logic TTL or CMOS circuits to ADD or subtract logic signals?