ADC common mode input range

Anestis88

Joined Aug 9, 2011
Hi
I am trying to choose an ADC for differential voltage measurement. However, I get confused with terms in datasheets such as "Common mode input range" , "Input differential Voltage range". Can somebody help me to understand the difference of these terms ?
Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Input differential voltage is the maximum voltage difference between the two inputs.
Common mode range tells you what range of voltages can be applied to both inputs at the same time for a differential reading of 0.0 volts.

For example if the common mode range is ±10.0 VDC and the differential input voltage was ±2.0 VDC, and I put +8 volts on one input -2.0 volts on the other input which spec is violated?

Anestis88

Joined Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for the response. I supposed to the example you give that the differential input range is violated since V+ - V- = 10V.
Usually, I see the CM as a positive value as shown below. So with Vref=+5V the Vcm = +2.5V
. Does that prevent me to measure Vdiff >2.5V ?

Capture.PNG

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
OK. So there are three things you must ensure:
  1. Vref must be equal to +5.0 V
  2. -5.0V < (Vin+) - (Vin-) < +5.0V
  3. -0.1 V < Vin+ < 5.01V ; AND -0.1 < Vin- < 5.01 V
Do you understand the implications of all three requirements?

Anestis88

Joined Aug 9, 2011
Yes, I fully understand these requirements. But these three implications they do not come from the common mode input range, are they ?
That was the point I got confused while reading the datasheet.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sure they do. You can consider each input to have a common mode voltage of 2.5V = Vref/2 = Vref * 0.5
Now whereever the signal goes in the range 0.0 V to 5.0 volts it has a common mode part of 2.5 V and a differential part of (V - Vcm)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
OK. So there are three things you must ensure:
  1. Vref must be equal to +5.0 V
  2. -5.0V < (Vin+) - (Vin-) < +5.0V
  3. -0.1 V < Vin+ < 5.01V ; AND -0.1 < Vin- < 5.01 V
Do you understand the implications of all three requirements?
Now I'm a little confused here. @Papabravo, please correct me if I'm wrong, but are the signs in statement 3 correct? Shouldn't it read:
-0.1 V < Vin+ < 5.01V ; AND -5.01 V < Vin- < 0.1V

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Now I'm a little confused here. @Papabravo, please correct me if I'm wrong, but are the signs in statement 3 correct? Shouldn't it read:
-0.1 V < Vin+ < 5.01V ; AND -5.01 V < Vin- < 0.1V
No, I don't think so. The ranges in statement 3 say that the inputs cannot go outside of the absolute range bounded by the supply voltages.
In differential terms if IN+ = 5V and IN- = 0V the differential is (5 - 0) = 5Volts
On the other hand if if IN+ = 0V and IN-=5V then (0 - 5) = -5V is the differential voltage
This ADC will not tolerate negative voltages. Negative differential voltage is another matter.

Reread the datasheet very very carefully.