Active Power Factor Correction using a single switch boost converter

Alcatraz132

Joined Oct 5, 2023
Hello fellow competent engineers!
I am currently doing a side project that involves the implementation of an active power factor correction using a single switch boost converter. This is just a general discussion that I would like to invoke to that I may be able to absorb as much knowledge from my engineers.

Now this is my very first side project, so please excuse any potential stupid questions. To my knowledge with a active boost PFC system, one would be required to design a boost converter that has the capability of operating in CCM. I have managed to do just that, moreover I was also able to design and implement some decent sensors.

I am however a bit confused as to where exactly I should go onwards from this point. I am aware that a system such as this would require a PI controller, but I'm a tad bit rusty in terms of my knowledge of the control systems component of this project. Would anyone kindly be kind enough to direct in terms of what form of signal analysis I should do in order to derive such a PI controller.

The system I currently have designed right here in garage, is a 600W boost converter that makes use of a 180Vac voltage input from a single phase variac. The system is able to output a voltage of 350V at a constant duty ratio of 30% (i.e open loop conditions) with a switching frequency of a 100kHz. I have read papers on average current mode controller being the best form of controlling for such a project and I intend on doing that. I will attach a PSIM model of my system ASAP!! Your advice and time in guiding throughout this entire process will be highly appreciated, Moreover any tips and potential tricks in particular with the design of the PI controller will be welcomed!! Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thank you

Alcatraz132

Joined Oct 5, 2023
Furthermore I will attach a set of my calculations. The inductor size I have decided to settle on is a 1.9mH toroidal core and a 680uF capacitor.IMG_20231006_014932.jpg

IMG_20231006_014932.jpg

As mentioned earlier I will send over my PSIM model ASAP! My laptop just crashed so I'm waiting for it to come back to life.

Attachments