activate relay with 12vdc pulsed signal

jriffe108

Joined Mar 7, 2016
I have searched and found identical posts and referred to snook to no avail. I need some tech assistance. I have steady power 12vdc power supply to relay. My trigger signal is pulsed from a flasher which originally powers LED emergency lights in a quick strobing pattern. I do not know the exact speed or frequency but it is fast with milliseconds in between power pulsed. I have installed an approximate 500uf 35wdc capacitor inline with the signal which has helped slow the relay chattering but not completely eliminated it. The relay is a common Bosch style 35/40 12vdc. Is it the lack of power pulse to sufficiently charge the capacitor to full power or is the capacitor too small to retain enough voltage to supply steady current to relay coil? I figured the relay coil is in the range of 500ma to hold, nominal. I would ideally like the relay to hold steady while signal is sent and draw off of capacitor for a sec or more after input is off. If it stays closed, active, for up to ten seconds is fine too. Any tips, ideas? I want something reliable and the cheaper the better. A few dollars for a simple circuit will suffice, I don't want a $30 circuit to power a few LED's for my specific application. Thanks in advance for any insight.

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
Not that the help was overwhelming anyway.
You'll find on these forums that the amount of help you receive is proportional not only to how much you're prepared to help yourself but how much help everyone think's you deserve.

I read your post minutes after you posted and had plenty of ideas to help you but because all I could see was "I want... I want... I don't want...", I felt less inclined to help. You have to understand that this forum receives lots of posts every week from people looking for help, there are those like yourself who've invested no time into the forums (one or two posts) but still expect us to be all over your project like a rash and there are those who take an active interest in exchanging ideas. My time is precious and my ideas aren't free.

jriffe108

Joined Mar 7, 2016
I don't expect to only receive and not offer. I am not an engineer by trade but have some good ideas and am always willing to share information. I provided all the information pertinent to diagnose and if more were needed, any questions would have been answered. I just find it odd that a guy who wants to heat his wheel wells (without schematic) gets more replies than my simple inquiry. You don't offer advice for free? Why are you on the forum then? I was assuming this was a community forum for the people, by the people. I usually don't need help and have a family so my time is limited for forum posts but I try to help when I can. I reached out for help so I signed up on the forum. I did browse to see if i could offer insight on someone else's issue but didn't find anything that I could assist with or wasn't already handled. Also, my question, with any helpful replies, may have assisted someone in the future.

jriffe108

Joined Mar 7, 2016
Thanks for the replies fellas, I have already found the solution. Just needed a larger capacitor, I replaced the 500 uf with a 4700 uf and the relay locks down solid. This circuit is on a motorcycle so I needed something that would handle vibration, shock, and temperature range, along with weather proof. I didn't mean to come on here as a clown or aggravate anyone but I was disappointed with the lack of input. I understand you get people who provide little to no info and have very little knowledge to start with, in attempting some of the work needed posting inquiry's.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for the replies fellas, I have already found the solution. Just needed a larger capacitor, I replaced the 500 uf with a 4700 uf and the relay locks down solid. This circuit is on a motorcycle so I needed something that would handle vibration, shock, and temperature range, along with weather proof. I didn't mean to come on here as a clown or aggravate anyone but I was disappointed with the lack of input. I understand you get people who provide little to no info and have very little knowledge to start with, in attempting some of the work needed posting inquiry's.
Please be polite to the helpers, and no one owe you anything, the people at here free to help with no pay, maybe you will get your answer and felt satisfy maybe not, for an ee player is using the circuit or schematic to analyse the problems and modifying to match what the TS(Thread Starter) want, if you don't have the schematic, at least you can draw a block diagram to show what you want to do, complain can't solve the problem, the forum have great quantities of problems ask for help, sometimes you should wait, if any helper trying to help you then you should follow what the helper said.

jriffe108

Joined Mar 7, 2016
I am being polite to those who contribute and offer assistance. But I'm not a fan of those who feel the need to flame and offer absolutely no assistance. I would have provided a diagram or even pictures to help facilitate the diagnostics if anyone was asking for them. I just figured the question was simple and maybe someone would have been able to throw an idea or at least offer direction. I'm good at a lot of things but as everyone else, I also learn as I go and need someone else's expertise or experience for help. Thank you to everyone who offered advice or sincerely offered to assist.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
We all come here to learn something new and sharing our knowledge, when you do what you should do then the helper will willing to help you, as you said you also could share your knowledge to others, we help each other.

Sometimes the helper reacting was from what you said, if you do as the normal poster and then if someone doing too over then we will give him a warning, we will not allowed the members against the rules, we hope the forum keeping a harmony and good mood to discuss the problem, if anyone over the line then he could be banned.