Accessing a router settings ?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
eetech00: yes, additional fees for enabling Wifi and I have spare standalone wifi modems. When service was contracted, got no Wifi as there was no need. Even now for the camera, 95% of time there will be no need for Wifi. My retirement has to be managed carefully, I do not need to give money away as you say. The provider supplied the 'Technicolor' modem and they locked-out its Wifi.

GopherT : exactly. I cannot enable Wifi from its control panel. Only the service provider can for a every month fee.

Reloadron : The wifi was disabled by Spectrum provider at contracting their service as is not needed/wanted. I will not engage paid wifi if have the hardware of my own.
Amazing how many problems exist in this world because people think their reality is the same as everyone else's reality.
I don't get charged for WiFi on my router so nobody else gets charged.
I don't have trouble doing x, y or z each day so nobody else does,
I...
Yet the cure to these misunderstandings is so easy - listening (or reading the full post)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Externet

The issue here is that the cable company's box (modem/router) is the first node that connects you to the world. Your phone/camera needs to be accessible from the outside world "internet" so you can be away from home and send a request to that camera. The structure of the local network inside your home is set up for security of your network and to simplicity how everyone can set up a network (and to reduce the number of internet addresses needed around the world.

If you really want to set up this camera, you will have to work with your internet provider to get a back door (actually called a Demilitarized zone - DMZ) to allow one "unsecured" connection to a device on your local network.

Alternatively, you can subscribe to a service where you initiate a connection with your camera to a website (service company). Since you initiate from within your local area network (LAN) to outside a connection outside your LAN, the connection is allowed like any standard connection. Then, when you want to connect to your camera when you are away from home, you just have to connect to the service company. This way, there is never a connection request from outside the internet to a device inside your local network.

I do not know of a company name that provides this service but I am sure they exist for a fee. If you see one offered for free, question the security you are really getting - who knows who will be watching.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I had an unlimited plan with Verizon which was discontinued unless you already had it. I finally changed our plan as we seldom use any data. I only use data when I travel which is a few trips a year and even then not much. I went with 4 GB per month and you can bring forward 1 month of unused data. Currently, with one day remaining in the billing period, checking My Verizon there are 7.63 GB remaining. :) We have 5 devices, two phones, two tablets and a little MyFi which I use with the laptop when I travel. Our data needs are about zip.

My sister down in Columbus has a good handle on the cable system. She uses Netflix and her Amazon Prime and she has like movies forever. The cable bill around here is a nightmare and as I mentioned, we need to sit down and drop about half of this crap we never use.

Ron

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
eetech00: yes, additional fees for enabling Wifi and I have spare standalone wifi modems. When service was contracted, got no Wifi as there was no need. Even now for the camera, 95% of time there will be no need for Wifi. My retirement has to be managed carefully, I do not need to give money away as you say. The provider supplied the 'Technicolor' modem and they locked-out its Wifi.
Hmmm...I’m sure that’s what they’re telling you but your doing WIFI anyway with the Dell device..<sigh >
Understand about the retirement thing...I’m preparing myself :).

What’s a technicolor modem?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Reloadron : The wifi was disabled by Spectrum provider at contracting their service as is not needed/wanted. I will not engage paid wifi if have the hardware of my own.
Makes sense to me now. I would have thought Spectrum would have had the same policy everywhere they serve but apparently not. Yeah, I would not be paying to have a simple feature like WiFi enabled when I can use my own router.

Ron

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Amazing how many problems exist in this world because people think their reality is the same as everyone else's reality.
I don't get charged for WiFi on my router so nobody else gets charged.
I don't have trouble doing x, y or z each day so nobody else does,
I...
Yet the cure to these misunderstandings is so easy - listening (or reading the full post)
Heh...no one made assumptions....its just sometimes difficult to get the TS to provide full disclosure..

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
What’s a technicolor modem?
Another brand name to confuse people:rolleyes: Linked on post #26 and pictured on post #4

I still believe post #1 is properly exposed, never tried to obscure or avoid disclosure, just simplify to avoid going trough branches of the subject.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Heh...no one made assumptions....its just sometimes difficult to get the TS to provide full disclosure..
You made assumptions. The TS clearly said the WiFi the cable company's device does not have accessible WiFi. Was that not clear to you? Could you please advise us of some better phraseology to help communicate that nugget of information if it was not clear?

PS: Blaming poor listening skills on other people is not a good way to improve yourself.