Accessing a router settings ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks, gentlemen.
Sadly, I am not lucid enough to understand what is needed to configure the settings. Can hardly follow your recommendations.
There is settings on the modem,
there is settings for networking on the laptop,
There is settings for the camera,
There is settings for the monitoring smart phone,
There is settings for the router,

Each one with a constellation of lettersoup parameters.
Tried to make the home router a 'Hot spot' which may be also called 'Access point' and whatever else names, and lost WiFi to the smart phone. Clearly am not qualified to handle this. Sorry to disappoint. Give me a scope and a soldering iron and I may perform...

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Thanks, gentlemen.
Sadly, I am not lucid enough to understand what is needed to configure the settings. Can hardly follow your recommendations.
There is settings on the modem,
there is settings for networking on the laptop,
There is settings for the camera,
There is settings for the monitoring smart phone,
There is settings for the router,

Each one with a constellation of lettersoup parameters.
Tried to make the home router a 'Hot spot' which may be also called 'Access point' and whatever else names, and lost WiFi to the smart phone. Clearly am not qualified to handle this. Sorry to disappoint. Give me a scope and a soldering iron and I may perform...
The easy way to do it is:
1. Change modem from Router-Bridge to Bridge.
2. Use your router for the home lan.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Agreed. Let the router be the router full time, and let it be the DHCP server. Once you get that working, all network clients need only to be set to connect to the router. You’ll never touch the modem again.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi.
How to access a router 'behind' a modem, from the laptop ?

View attachment 146206

The router is supposed to allow access entering 192.168.2.1 on the laptop browser. Does it have to be via wireless ?
Can it be via the ethernet cable ?
The modem has another 192.168..... 'address' and is accessible via ethernet cable.
Hi
If you can post the model numbers of each device then we won't have to guess how to connect them.....we can look them up and tell you exactly how they should be interconnected..

just saying...;)

eT

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Model numbers would undoubtedly help. Our home network is nothing like it was 4 years ago. Without worrying about all sorts of terms which have no meaning to you possibly you could make it like the below cartoon?
Home Network.png

While not the best cartoon going it should provide some idea. The router depending on make, model and age should have a port labeled Internet or uplink which goes to your cable or DSL type modem. That would be an Ethernet cable between the two. All in all the end result should resemble the picture.This is in the best interest of keeping things simple. :)

Ron

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for your patience, gentlemen. If you insist, I could give it another try.
Modem/gateway/router/whatever without wifi (disabled) is ----> https://www.timewarnercable.com/con...mUserGuides/technicolor-tc8717t-userguide.pdf
Wifi router is ----> https://www.router-reset.com/reset-manuals/Dell/TrueMobile-1184-WX-6215D
Laptop runs Linux 14.04. Ethernet wired. Performs perfectly.
Camera is ZTE Citrine Android smart phone (repurposed) with "BL IP camera" application. Did work, until I goofed settings. Now cannot find router.
Monitor is Android smart phone Coolpad Defiant with "BL IP" viewer application. Cannot find router.

The thing is the wireless router should be kept off until I leave for travel. I turn it on to use the surveillance camera.
The most important hurdle is my brain. No networking knowledge. Worse, networking lettersoup is vomitive for me.:oops:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
In keeping this very simple all you need is your cable box (TC 8717) unless you want or need more than four wired Ethernet connections. This is what you have connected straight to the cable:
Internet connection features 
Broadband access via the integrated DOCSIS 3.0 16x4 Cable Modem 
Parental control allows you to restrict access to specific websites, services or your network. For more information, see “6.1 Parental control” on page 44. 
The Gateway has an integrated firewall to protect you from malicious attacks. For more information, see “6.2 Firewall” on page 52. 
Advanced network tools like port forwarding, port triggering and DMZ. For more information, see “7 Advanced configuration” on page 53. Local networking features 
MoCA 2.0 to interconnect your local MoCA devices (for example, your set-top box) via your coax network. 
Wireless access for your local network devices via the integrated IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless access points. For more information, see “2.4 Connect your wireless devices” on page 17. 
Wired access for your local network devices via the Ethernet interface. For more information, see “2.3 Connect your wired devices” on page 16. 
An integrated file and media server allowing you to share your media with media players and other network devices. For more information, see “5 Sharing content” on page 37.

That single unit serves as a cable modem gateway and a wired as well as wireless router. Unless you have a need for anything else, like more wired Ethernet ports you do not need anything else. What you have is about the same thing as my Arris Box from Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). Including telephone if you choose to subscribe to it.

I would start by setting things up exactly as the manual covers. Getting Started begins on page 14 and I would only have the single gateway modem / router connected. See how that works for you.

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for your patience, gentlemen. If you insist, I could give it another try.
Modem/gateway/router/whatever without wifi (disabled) is ----> https://www.timewarnercable.com/con...mUserGuides/technicolor-tc8717t-userguide.pdf
Wifi router is ----> https://www.router-reset.com/reset-manuals/Dell/TrueMobile-1184-WX-6215D
Camera is ZTE Citrine Android smart phone (repurposed) with "BL IP camera" application. Did work, until I goofed settings. Now cannot find router.
Monitor is Android smart phone Coolpad Defiant with "BL IP" viewer application. Cannot find router.

The thing is the wireless router should be kept off until I leave for travel. I turn it on to use the surveillance camera.
The most important hurdle is my brain. No networking knowledge. Worse, networking lettersoup is vomitive for me.:oops:

To get your WiFi working again, you need to get the WiFi router out of access point (hot spot) mode. The easiest way to do this is look on the back and push/hold reset for 5 to 10 seconds (you may need a paperclip poked into the little hole).
Then connect to the network (named "wireless") then use "admin" for username and "admin" for password.

You can log into the router to set up again as you wish by typing the following address into your phone's browser and connecting.

Default Network name (SSID): wireless
Default Gateway IP: 192.168.2.1 Dell login instructions
Default username: admin Dell router default password list
Default password: admin

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

Hi

Which of the two devices (cable modem and Wifi router) did the cable company provide?

From what I can tell...you don't even need the Dell device. The Dell device has far less capabilities than the cable modem and, as a router, just adds unnecessary complexity to your network. So I would keep the cable modem (its also a router with wireless capability) assuming of course your internet service provider is a cable company.

I thought maybe you could use the Dell device as an access point, but even that would be downgrading your network because its not capable of wireless N or AC like your cable modem. The wired Ethernet ports on the Dell are also slower (100MB) than the cable modem Ethernet ports (1GB). So I guess I would just keep it stored somewhere as an emergency spare.

If you need more wired ports than the four on the cable modem, buy a low cost Netgear 5 port gigabit switch and connect its uplink port to one of the ports on the cable modem. Then connect your wired devices to the switch. This is a no-brainer...no configuration needed for this hookup.

All of your wireless devices should be able to connect to the cable modems WIFI. It supports 5Ghz 11a/n/ac and 2.4Ghz 11b/g/n.
You mentioned turning off the wireless....why?

eT

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi

Which of the two devices (cable modem and Wifi router) did the cable company provide?

From what I can tell...you don't even need the Dell device. The Dell device has far less capabilities than the cable modem and, as a router, just adds unnecessary complexity to your network. So I would keep the cable modem (its also a router with wireless capability).

I thought maybe you could use the Dell device as an access point, but even that would be downgrading your network because its not capable of wireless N or AC like your cable modem. The wired Ethernet ports on the Dell are also slower (100MB) than the cable modem Ethernet ports (1GB). So I guess I would just keep it stored somewhere as an emergency spare.

If you need more wired ports than the four on the cable modem, buy a low cost Netgear 5 port gigabit switch and connect its uplink port to one of the ports on the cable modem. Then connect your wired devices to the switch.

All of your wireless devices should be able to connect to the cable modems WIFI. It supports 5Ghz 11a/n/ac and 2.4Ghz 11b/g/n.
You mentioned turning off the wireless....why?

eT

Of course he needs the Dell device. He clearly stated that the CableModom/Router has no WiFi capabilities enabled. He needs WiFi for his phone (acting as a security camera).

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Of course he needs the Dell device. He clearly stated that the CableModom/Router has no WiFi capabilities enabled. He needs WiFi for his phone (acting as a security camera).
Yes...but the WIFI can be enabled on the modem.
So..no...the TS doesn't really need the Dell device it to support his network. Unless he just wants to use it.

eT

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes...but the WIFI can be enabled on the modem.
So..no...the TS doesn't really need the Dell device it to support his network. Unless he just wants to use it.

eT
With that logic, he doesn't NEED his automatic garage door opener, he electric can opener or his car "unless he just wants to use them"

Why would he pay the cable company To enable WiFi service if he has a WiFi router?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
With that logic, he doesn't NEED his automatic garage door opener, he electric can opener or his car "unless he just wants to use them"

Why would he pay the cable company To enable WiFi service if he has a WiFi router?
He wouldn't pay the cable company...unless he just wants to give money away.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
He wouldn't pay the cable company...unless he just wants to give money away.
Maybe you can share some advice how he can enable the WiFi on the Oder/router provided by the cable company. Remember, not all cable companies are as kind as yours. Some, like mine, charge for each additional service.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Here is my read on all of this. Externet mentions:
"The thing is the wireless router should be kept off until I leave for travel. I turn it on to use the surveillance camera".

Reading that I understand the only use or need of wireless is surveillance when away. The wireless feature of his gateway modem, provided by the cable company, allows the wireless features to be enabled or disabled, turned On or Off. His computer is connected wired to one of the four Ethernet ports on the rear of his gateway router. Enabling and disabling the wireless feature is covered on Page 32 of his gateway modem provided by the cable company.

This is the same configuration I have from Spectrum, formerly Time Warner Cable. The only difference is I have an ARRIS gateway modem but pretty much the same features and settings. As to our service? I have no idea what our data cap might be. Never exceeded it so never gave it much thought. I have our two cell phones, two tablets and printer which use our wireless network. The cell phones when in range of the home network use it and the same for the tablets. When traveling unless I use another network they use our Verizon account. Anyway if Spectrum had a data or bandwidth limit we never exceeded it.

While I see no real need to disable the wireless feature when not away or when it is not in use it is easily done. Based on what he has I see no need for having a router since his gateway modem is also a router and a nice feature not mentioned is the ability to also connect an exrernal hard drive. One additional feature we do pay for is $20 a month for the telephone service.

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Here is my read on all of this. Externet mentions:
"The thing is the wireless router should be kept off until I leave for travel. I turn it on to use the surveillance camera".

Reading that I understand the only use or need of wireless is surveillance when away. The wireless feature of his gateway modem, provided by the cable company, allows the wireless features to be enabled or disabled, turned On or Off. His computer is connected wired to one of the four Ethernet ports on the rear of his gateway router. Enabling and disabling the wireless feature is covered on Page 32 of his gateway modem provided by the cable company.

This is the same configuration I have from Spectrum, formerly Time Warner Cable. The only difference is I have an ARRIS gateway modem but pretty much the same features and settings. As to our service? I have no idea what our data cap might be. Never exceeded it so never gave it much thought. I have our two cell phones, two tablets and printer which use our wireless network. The cell phones when in range of the home network use it and the same for the tablets. When traveling unless I use another network they use our Verizon account. Anyway if Spectrum had a data or bandwidth limit we never exceeded it.

While I see no real need to disable the wireless feature when not away or when it is not in use it is easily done. Based on what he has I see no need for having a router since his gateway modem is also a router and a nice feature not mentioned is the ability to also connect an exrernal hard drive. One additional feature we do pay for is $20 a month for the telephone service.

Ron
Our cable company supplies a router/modem/WiFi multifunction box. Even though the cable company would experience no additional costs to enable the WiFi, they would not do it unless we paid $12/month for the feature. They also charged $12 for each support call related to WiFi. I bought my own WiFi box.

As of sometime last year, they raised the price of internet and made the WiFi "free".

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Maybe you can share some advice how he can enable the WiFi on the Oder/router provided by the cable company. Remember, not all cable companies are as kind as yours. Some, like mine, charge for each additional service.
Hi

Reloadron sums it up pretty well.
I had spectrum also and wasn't charged any more or any less if I used WIFI. If I wanted, I could buy my own cable modem to replace theirs as long as it complied with the cable companys' requirements (DOCSIS). I've since replaced my cable service with FIOS service.:)

What cable company charges additionally for home WIFI?:confused: Sounds like a ripoff to me.:(

eT

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Our cable company supplies a router/modem/WiFi multifunction box. Even though the cable company would experience no additional costs to enable the WiFi, they would not do it unless we paid $12/month for the feature. They also charged $12 for each support call related to WiFi. I bought my own WiFi box.

As of sometime last year, they raised the price of internet and made the WiFi "free".
Wow, that sort of sucks. Actually that really sucks, live and learn I guess as I had never heard of that practice. Years ago when Time Warner was using the now ancient Motorola Surfboard modems we were paying something like $5 a month for the modem rental. I went to Micro Center and bought my own Motorola Surfboard and returned theirs. Then called them with the information for the new modem. That went well right till the old surfboard modem was not compatible with their "new" system so once again had to use their box.

So I went to my wife who is the keeper and all knowing on such things. We are paying $10 a month for the cable modem box and the WiFi feature on the box reflects $0.00 so it is included. Well I'll be darned, live and learn. I can tell you this, the two single largest bills which hit our mailbox each month are the cable bill and the Verizon Cellular bill. We need to sit down and start thinking about how much of these services we actually need. There is stuff on that cable bill we have not used or watched in a decade. Can't even recall the last time we used SHOWTIME or HBO.

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Wow, that sort of sucks. Actually that really sucks, live and learn I guess as I had never heard of that practice. Years ago when Time Warner was using the now ancient Motorola Surfboard modems we were paying something like $5 a month for the modem rental. I went to Micro Center and bought my own Motorola Surfboard and returned theirs. Then called them with the information for the new modem. That went well right till the old surfboard modem was not compatible with their "new" system so once again had to use their box.

So I went to my wife who is the keeper and all knowing on such things. We are paying $10 a month for the cable modem box and the WiFi feature on the box reflects $0.00 so it is included. Well I'll be darned, live and learn. I can tell you this, the two single largest bills which hit our mailbox each month are the cable bill and the Verizon Cellular bill. We need to sit down and start thinking about how much of these services we actually need. There is stuff on that cable bill we have not used or watched in a decade. Can't even recall the last time we used SHOWTIME or HBO.

Ron
Verizon wireless has limited release of an unlimited plan (certain cities) that offers so much capacity that you can run your income WiFi nd cut the cord. They sell a modem that works off of your data plan. They are still playing with the pricing but the demo I saw was awesome and it will be cheaper than the cable company's service.

I am just waiting for some reviews before I subscribe to Hulu and YouTube TV and cut my cable company and their cord.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
eetech00: yes, additional fees for enabling Wifi and I have spare standalone wifi modems. When service was contracted, got no Wifi as there was no need. Even now for the camera, 95% of time there will be no need for Wifi. My retirement has to be managed carefully, I do not need to give money away as you say. The provider supplied the 'Technicolor' modem and they locked-out its Wifi.

GopherT : exactly. I cannot enable Wifi from its control panel. Only the service provider can for an every month fee.

Reloadron : The wifi was disabled by Spectrum provider at contracting their service as is not needed/wanted. I will not engage paid wifi if have the hardware of my own.