Access of mylar film condenser mic 'diaphragm' sheet only

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi,
As shown in the video, a guy from Pearlman Microphone have a large sheet of gold sputter coating diaphragm. And he is manually using it to capsule one by one.
Do we get such mylar film diaphragm sheet only in the market or anyone have access of it? It would be a great experimental part.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
People growing cannabis use it to reflect (concentrate?) light. I understand you need quite a thin film for a capsule.

EDIT/
I now recall the huge roll of mylar I got some 30 years ago when visiting a place where they proccessed geological surveys data (oil prospection). Results where printed on the film which was/is rather thick.
/EDIT

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I do not know if metalised pet film would work:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Metallised_film
Also in the X-RAY measurements thin foil is used:

Gas flow proportional counters are used mainly for detection of longer wavelengths. Gas flows through it continuously. Where there are multiple detectors, the gas is passed through them in series, then led to waste. The gas is usually 90% argon, 10% methane ("P10"), although the argon may be replaced with neon or helium where very long wavelengths (over 5 nm) are to be detected. The argon is ionised by incoming X-ray photons, and the electric field multiplies this charge into a measurable pulse. The methane suppresses the formation of fluorescent photons caused by recombination of the argon ions with stray electrons. The anode wire is typically tungsten or nichrome of 20–60 μm diameter. Since the pulse strength obtained is essentially proportional to the ratio of the detector chamber diameter to the wire diameter, a fine wire is needed, but it must also be strong enough to be maintained under tension so that it remains precisely straight and concentric with the detector. The window needs to be conductive, thin enough to transmit the X-rays effectively, but thick and strong enough to minimize diffusion of the detector gas into the high vacuum of the monochromator chamber. Materials often used are beryllium metal, aluminised PET film and aluminised polypropylene. Ultra-thin windows (down to 1 μm) for use with low-penetration long wavelengths are very expensive. The pulses are sorted electronically by "pulse height selection" in order to isolate those pulses deriving from the secondary X-ray photons being counted.

DmwdxrfFlowDetector.jpg
Bertus