Access in terms of Computers

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Hi guys, seriously I'm so confused on the term of "access" on computing .. meaning on compuers's world.
we use the term "Access" in programming, but I don't know exactly what it's meaning .. for example we use the symbol
"->" for accessing to a struct, but what does it mean accessing?! not meaning the translation of "access", but meaning what does it stand for? what actually going on when I write on my code like "->" for getting access to the struct?

thank you in advance!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Show us an example and explain what is confusing you. The -> token is just an operation performed on operands. In that regard it is like + or - or =.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
“Accessing” something in computer terms to me means getting data from a location. You “access” or “go to” a location to retrieve its data or contents.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Show us an example and explain what is confusing you. The -> token is just an operation performed on operands. In that regard it is like + or - or =.
For example .. When I say node->name to my compiler (assuming node is a struct with name's field inside it .. ) ; it means "im muttering to myself" access to the name ; but actually i dont know what does "access" mean .. it sounds for me like "enters" something ..

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
It's a one-word synonym for being able to read or write a value in memory. Instead of writing "dereferencing a pointer lets you read or modify the value stored at the referenced memory location", it's less verbose to write "dereferencing a pointer lets you access the value stored at the referenced memory location".

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
For example .. When I say node->name to my compiler (assuming node is a struct with name's field inside it .. ) ; it means "im muttering to myself" access to the name ; but actually i dont know what does "access" mean .. it sounds for me like "enters" something ..

I think you are referring to pointers and structures. -> is the pointer operator. You need to give a very specific example. Where are you read ing about access? Reference the actual text you are reading on not just you interpretation of the text.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Access in computer terminology means to read or modify (write).

X = 123;
Y = X + 456;
means accessing the variable X.

You can access the member of a structure using the dot operator.

Student.age = 18;
total_marks = Student.marks;

Instead of using structure directly, you may have been supplied with a pointer to the structure. For example, the pointer was passed in the argument list of a function call.

student_pointer -> age = 18;
total_marks = student_pointer -> marks;