Acceptable low voltage limit for residential appliances

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That is why I suggested a cam and switch creation. Some of the 1920's electrical equipment in the Smithsonian Institute museum of science and industry are examples of what I am thinking about. Some of that ancient technology was really quite brilliant.
It was not only brilliant it worked and worked forever. Seriously, the stuff worked and was bulletproof. :)

Ron

Joacchim

Joined Apr 11, 2020
Well, I finally took the plunge and rewired the xfmr primary for 252 volts (5% over nominal 240), which effectively reduced the secondary by 5%. So far, so good: highest secondary voltage I've seen was around 252 volts (126 per leg), and lowest has been around 227, 113 per leg. My grid-tied inverter is no longer rejecting the grid due to over voltage conditions, and so far I haven't seen any bad effects on my loads from operating at lower voltage at night.

No regrets, so far...thanks for all the replies. - Mike

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Well, I finally took the plunge and rewired the xfmr primary for 252 volts (5% over nominal 240), which effectively reduced the secondary by 5%. So far, so good: highest secondary voltage I've seen was around 252 volts (126 per leg), and lowest has been around 227, 113 per leg. My grid-tied inverter is no longer rejecting the grid due to over voltage conditions, and so far I haven't seen any bad effects on my loads from operating at lower voltage at night.

No regrets, so far...thanks for all the replies. - Mike
GREAT. And hopefully that setting will continue to be the correct one.