Safe (acceptable?) to use a DPDT switch to switch high and low voltage?

marmil

Joined Oct 31, 2009
I was considering wiring things as in the attached image. The three position switch would switch high volatge 120V AC, and also switch a 5V DC signal.

I say "was considering" this as my project has expanded a bit now and I'll use several buttons hooked to the MCU to change modes now, but originally there were only two modes and I thought this would allow a super simple interface and allow the MCU to know which of the two modes the user selected.

I'm curious and want to learn if this would have been a safe or acceptable way to wire things? Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As long as the switch has the insulation voltage rating of the applied AC then it should be no problem.
It might be advisable to reference the 5vdc common to earth ground as a precaution.
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I won't do because of possible EMI/RFI coupling issues with the high-energy 120VAC circuit to the low-energy digital circuit even if the insulation was proper due to the unshielded common-body nature of the switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Usually the dielectric rating for that type of switch is in excess of 1500vac and they also have a barrier between each side.
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm sure it could be made safe electrically (but I would worry about the close proximity during circuit testing) but electromagnetically you have a fairly high impedance (10k ohm with the switch open) input of the MCU that could be capacitive coupled to EMI/RFI carried on the power wires in very close proximity due to the switch and external wiring from both circuits.

marmil

Joined Oct 31, 2009
I'm sure it could be made safe electrically (but I would worry about the close proximity during circuit testing) but electromagnetically you have a fairly high impedance (10k ohm with the switch open) input of the MCU that could be capacitive coupled to EMI/RFI carried on the power wires in very close proximity due to the switch and external wiring from both circuits.
Do you mean the EMI/RFI would possibly cause the MCU to read the wrong value on the input? (Or worse, cause damage to the data pin?)

Since the MCU would be power cycled each time the switch is changed from one position to the other, it would take a second to startup, and if the reading of the input was delayed say 500ms after startup would that always allow for a reliable reading?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Do you mean the EMI/RFI would possibly cause the MCU to read the wrong value on the input? (Or worse, cause damage to the data pin?)

Since the MCU would be power cycled each time the switch is changed from one position to the other, it would take a second to startup, and if the reading of the input was delayed say 500ms after startup would that always allow for a reliable reading?
It could cause the wrong value, lockup the MCU or damage it in an extreme case. If the MCU would power-fail reboot from a fast switch cycle depends on how long the MCU power bus remains good during switch changes if there is no direct AC power fail input signal or trigger.

Raygl

Joined Dec 3, 2016
I may be wrong but the switch is wired so the power supply stays on. Why not just skip the switch and power the supply from line and switch only the low voltage? Unless I misread the schematic.