AC or DC- Which one is more dangerous

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was building an EICO signal tracer in 1967. It had a 450 VDC supply available on the front panel.
I finished it up, plugged it in, and plugged a test lead into the 450 VDC jack.
The part I learned is that EICO provided banana plugs with an exposed screw. I was hanging on to the exposed screw and the metal box when I plugged in the test lead.

After I got up off the floor and threw the Signal Tracer against the wall, I never used it. It was a dinosaur the day I built it. All it was good for was practice building circuits and practice getting knocked on my butt.:mad:

I was about 15/16 YO sanding my car, shirtless, shoeless, lying on the grass on my side with a sander with a flat frayed extension cord. The cord got caught between my toes. Letting go didn't work too well. I consciously decided to scream. It worked. I was able to free myself.

Probably more like if the finger hurts, step on your toe, then your finger won't hurt.

FrozenNick

Joined Nov 19, 2016
Here is one person that tested the voltage level on himself

Generally, AC hurts a lot more because the capacitive properties of the human body, AC can flow through a human body very much more easily than DC

I remember my first valve preamplifier build.
I turned it off, touched the circuit and got a shock.
My tutor told me to discharge power supply cap before touching circuit.
So next time I discharged cap with a resistor.
I touched the circuit again and got a another shock.
I had for got to turn it off at the mains !

Amazingly that was 37 years ago and I am still alive.
Had a few shocks over the years but survived them.
Only had one mains shock and that was a bare wire I had left hanging.
The rest were off valve amps.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
spammer revives 5 y/o thread, AAC denizens resume old conversation like it never ended, spammer posts spam AGAIN, denizens ignore spam, continue conversing in reply to 5 y/o question. Quite entertaining. Good excuse to share my story....

I've shared this story before but not on a 5y/o thread, so I'll do it again: I turned off a tubular strander machine (cable making - similar to attached pic, but bigger so you can fit inside) in a plant to briefly jump into one of the gimbals and clean the slip rings to clear up a recurring comms problem that happened once per shift. I did not follow lockout/tagout procedure. This happened every shift so the operator and I had a system; he calls me, tells me the machine shut down, I turn off power, he guards the power switch while I quickly clean the slip rings and then turn power back on, and back to production: no recordable down time chasing paperwork. Well this time it happened right as he was getting relieved and he didn't say a word to his relief about it; just gave him a high-five and walked off. His relief had no idea why the machine was off. He turned it back on while I had my sweaty arm resting across the slip rings. The gimbal drives were powered from rectified 480VAC (680VDC) from a huge rectifier in the main cabinet, capacity probably 100A. When that ~700VDC hit me I heard a loud alien shriek and only later did I realize that it came from me. I was thrown back against the inside of the enclosure and hit my head. Had a burn on my arm and a bump on my head, but no worse for wear.

I am a strong believer in LO/TO procedure these days. Tell my story at your next safety meeting. Don't be an idiot like me.

Attachments