ac induction (I think) motor question

Anthony J Brock

Joined Oct 2, 2015
Hey everyone sorry if this has been discussed beforehand, I did have a quick look. I have an ac motor (induction I think) I salvaged just wanted to know... If I rewind the copper winding will that help increase torque ? Sorry if it is a dumb question very new to this stuff with only basic knowledge
I have attached a photo of the motor

Attachments

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Gear it down, increase voltage. Don't play with windings since there is a high potential to mess it up. Larger the diameter of rotor the more torque it produces.

Anthony J Brock

Joined Oct 2, 2015
Ok thanks do i increase voltage with transformer? I have a couple of microwave transformers right now it's running on mains so I assume that's 240v

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
You probably won't be able to increase the voltage.You could maybe increase the voltage by 20% without damaging the motor. Try gearing it down.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a small simple shaded pole motor and the mass of iron in the motor will not allow much more current without saturation of the core.
Max.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
You say you have transformers from microwave ovens?? Please Please don't play around with these, They can supply in the region of 2 kV at very high current that will KILL YOU instantly if you come into contact with it.
If you were to connect it to your motor you will fry it and possibly have a fire.
You need proper training to work with high voltage equipment, learning by mistakes is not an option as usually the first one is FATAL.

Please do take this warning very seriously.

Anthony J Brock

Joined Oct 2, 2015
Yes I am aware of this thankyou for your concern I am always very careful and take every precaution. some have been rewound for different projects I'm new but I do understand the dangers of playing with electricity but thankyou for the reminder