AC doorbell point to power another device.

divya26

Joined Apr 27, 2016
Hi,
I am a beginner and hope somebody can help me here.

I want to connect another device that takes 230V input from the conventional AC doorbell electrical point without hampering the doorbell functionality.
How can I do this?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
I am a beginner and hope somebody can help me here.

I want to connect another device that takes 230V input from the conventional AC doorbell electrical point without hampering the doorbell functionality.
How can I do this?
Doorbells are generally powered by a small transformer that converts mains voltage to 12 to 24V AC (16V is a common voltage). So, are you looking for the 16V or do you need 230V?

Also, what country are you in?

divya26

Joined Apr 27, 2016
Doorbells are generally powered by a small transformer that converts mains voltage to 12 to 24V AC (16V is a common voltage). So, are you looking for the 16V or do you need 230V?

Also, what country are you in?
I am in India, and here the lines are 230V, the transformer is usually in the chimer box.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
You cannot switch a 230 Vac circuit with a doorbell button. If you want a separate 230 Vac circuit to be switched on when someone presses the doorbell button, then a relay with an AC coil should work for you. What is the current or power of the 230 Vac circuit you want to control?

ak

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You cannot switch a 230 Vac circuit with a doorbell button
Maybe you can in India, AK, despite it being potentially lethal :). I've seen horrific pictures of electrical installations in that country.
Divya, can you confirm the button is wired into the secondary (low voltage) of the transformer? Is the wiring to the primary (mains voltage) of the transformer adequately rated to carry both the transformer current and the current required by the additional device?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am in India, and here the lines are 230V, the transformer is usually in the chimer box.
Maybe you can in India, AK, despite it being potentially lethal :). I've seen horrific pictures of electrical installations in that country.
Divya, can you confirm the button is wired into the secondary (low voltage) of the transformer? Is the wiring to the primary (mains voltage) of the transformer adequately rated to carry both the transformer current and the current required by the additional device?
It appears that the 230V is to the Chimer box (actual bell) then stepped down via transformer (located inside the chimer box) and I assume a wire containing stepped down voltage run to the front door for the doorbell switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Usually these Chime transformers are powered continuously and all the switching done with LV secondary, so as already suggested, you could put a relay in parallel with the chime coil.
Max.

You cannot switch a 230 Vac circuit with a doorbell button. If you want a separate 230 Vac circuit to be switched on when someone presses the doorbell button, then a relay with an AC coil should work for you. What is the current or power of the 230 Vac circuit you want to control?

ak
Actually, there is a 2 tone Legrand doorbell (model 41651) from France with a single coil (transformerless) and it operates directly on 230vac. There is another version of same model that works on 12 volt dc with batteries.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Actually, there is a 2 tone Legrand doorbell (model 41651) from France with a single coil (transformerless) and it operates directly on 230vac.
That does not change the fact that neither standard doorbell wiring nor a typical 99-cent doorbell button switch are safety rated for 240 Vac switching, let alone for a high-voltage inductive load.

AND - was that item available in the US five years ago?

ak