AC adapter issues

standartuser

Joined Mar 27, 2024
Hello, my AC charger has suddenly stopped charging the laptop, I tested the end cable of the AC adapter and the multimeter shows 0 voltage, is the adapter damaged? Pic related
In case of replacing the cable that's no problem, but if the adapter itself is damaged I'm not sure how to open it, and it's not cheap to replace so I want to try something else first.IMG_20240327_222403.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The first guess is that there is a conductor failure in one of the four circuits in the connector. Probably the supply needs to communicate with the computer to know the voltage to supply. THAT IS ONE REASON THAT USING A USB CONNECTION FOR THE HIGHER COMPUTER VOLTAGE REQUIRED IS STUPID. Of course there are folks who see no issue with adding a lot of complexity to something is ever a poor choice, but evidently they also have no issue with needing to replace items that fail because that extra complexity that was not needed has failed.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Many pieces of equipment now do not have screws, but clip together. There are small specialized kits that take such items apart.
The automotive industry has used this for a while.

1711572606059.png

standartuser

Joined Mar 27, 2024
The first guess is that there is a conductor failure in one of the four circuits in the connector. Probably the supply needs to communicate with the computer to know the voltage to supply. THAT IS ONE REASON THAT USING A USB CONNECTION FOR THE HIGHER COMPUTER VOLTAGE REQUIRED IS STUPID. Of course there are folks who see no issue with adding a lot of complexity to something is ever a poor choice, but evidently they also have no issue with needing to replace items that fail because that extra complexity that was not needed has failed.
Wait so the problem might be in the computer? Specifically the charging port? Or the cable connector

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
THAT IS ONE REASON THAT USING A USB CONNECTION FOR THE HIGHER COMPUTER VOLTAGE REQUIRED IS STUPID.
@MisterBill2 your out of date biases are getting the better of you. I'm nearly certain that this connect IS NOT a USB connector. I believe it's a Lenovo coaxial connector that happens to plug into a USB-sized jack. These have been used for more than 10 years.

CM240327-140631001.jpg

CM240327-140705002.jpg

Furthermore, USB PD (Power Delivery) uses ONLY a USB C connector, so your rant is misplaced. But despite your rant, the USB C PD standard is here to state and is in fact mandated in some countries (like the EU). The good thing about a laptop charged using USB PD? If your power supply dies, you can use any appropriately rated USB PD supply instead of paying an outrageous price to get one from the manufacturer.

Sorry, progress marches on.

standartuser

Joined Mar 27, 2024
@MisterBill2 your out of date biases are getting the better of you. I'm nearly certain that this connect IS NOT a USB connector. I believe it's a Lenovo coaxial connector that happens to plug into a USB-sized jack. These have been used for more than 10 years.

View attachment 318579

View attachment 318580

Furthermore, USB PD (Power Delivery) uses ONLY a USB C connector, so your rant is misplaced. But despite your rant, the USB C PD standard is here to state and is in fact mandated in some countries (like the EU). The good thing about a laptop charged using USB PD? If your power supply dies, you can use any appropriately rated USB PD supply instead of paying an outrageous price to get one from the manufacturer.

He thought this was a USB connect? Sorry I should've specified that but yes, this is a Lenovo coaxial connector, the adapter's model is adl170sdc3a

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

View attachment 318579

View attachment 318580

For a computer power supply, why ever use a connector that will connect to devices made to use five volts??? No valid reason! And why choose a connector that is not able to rotate to any angle to avoid cord stress??

If the connector is like the one shown by JC in post #5 then I stand corrected. Oh Well.
And the unfortunate reality is, that at best, only half of all changes are "for the better."

AND, just because some government agencies can be convinced that something is a great idea, does not prove anything except that money talks and some folks listen.