About Socratic project

fury

Joined Sep 22, 2011
Hello ....
I just want to ask why don't have special tread in forum for question about socratic project. I think is great idea, but the problem is that we don't use socratic questions at school , so i try to do it by myself ... and is good to have plase for asking questions about problems in socratic. So from my point of view is good to have tread something like what "Socratic - project help" .... What do u think ?

Thanks !

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think the OP is referring to the Socrates' method of tuition. That is, teaching by asking questions to the student, leading him that way to find the truth himself.

I 'd say we do that in a certain extend in Homework Help. But teaching electronics isn't the same as having a conversation, so we must often present the new concepts to the inquirers ourselves.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
My take on this that most of those who provide support here aren't looking to become teachers in our capacity as forum members. We are usually glad to help out & give advice - and have that advice subjected to the scrutiny / correction / enhancement of our Forum peers. That's about my envisaged level of participation. I would suggest responsibility for a student's progress lies with them & their teacher(s) - not with me. I'm often concerned that what I might proffer as advice might confuse rather than assist the enquirer.

I've recently had some experience with another forum member wanting to engage in the Socratic Method with me with regard to some ideas in mathematical analysis. After several posts I gave up, because I saw myself becoming the gullible / unwilling tutor of the other person. I found the process painfully slow & repetitive and it left me wondering whether the person was being intentionally vexatious with their questioning.

No doubt there is merit in the Socratic Method but I'm not sure it would add any real value to the AAC Forum.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Socratic method has a time and place. I believe it works to some extent, but it has to be done person to person as you need to be able to judge the level of understanding in real time. Most instructors are not good at it, I am fortunate enough to now one who is, but sadly he is not teaching any of my classes.... And yes, if you actually read Plato, you can quickly see why Socrates was done away with, his questions were such that they seemed to be making a fool of the person, I guess people just got tired of it.

I like to be able to come to the forum where I now that I will be able to get some hints on how to solve a certain problem. I only post questions here when I have exhausted all other resources and know that I will not get a straight answer from my instructors. For this, Socratic method is not very helpful.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not comfortable with it. It is more of a tutorial method, and I simply don't have time for 1 person out of the hundreds to thousands per week we get here. I have had requests to tutor people via PM that I have turned down, but I then went on to tell them I will honor requests to answer questions on the open forum.

There is no royal road to math, and if you want to learn electronics (or any subject) you need to put the personal hours in. You couldn't afford my hourly rates to do it Socrates way, but I will help you for free, along with everyone else.