a/v out help... newbie with meter

JimJ

Joined Dec 19, 2011
sgcg: I'm looking for a clarification on your post that implies you were able to get composite video (industry standard yellow RCA Jack with signal and ground) from the video and ground pins which you described.

Previous posts seem to indicate only audio was implemented on the baby monitor USB output; the video is not supported.

Were you in fact able to view a composite video image from making a suitable connection to the pins you described?

I am also in search of this mysterious cable. I tried to follow the above instruction on making a cable. I have not exhausted all things to try namely the issue with the #4 ping being not connect in all usb cables. Can anyone please update on if they have been successful on this endeavor. Any updates would be helpfull. Thanks

here is a transpondance I had with motorolla support:

The cable you are looking for is available on Amazon. Please search for Motorola baby monitor AV connecting cable.

Motorola Audio Visual Cable for MBP 33 and MBP36 Digital Video Baby Monitors by Motorola
Buy new : $9.99

Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Free Super Saving Shipping & Free Returns See Details
Cell Phones & Accessories: See all 5 items
Best regards,

Carol

Thanks for the quick response. I was hopeing to find one that is instock as my baby will be ariving shortly. Do you know if there is an equivelent cable or if the pin out maping is avaliable?

Thanks,

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:55 PM
A shipment has just arrived into the warehouse. It will probably take a couple of days for it to be available on Amazon. This is a special AV cable so there is not another one which would be compatible.

Carol

acers

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am also looking for this cable for the MBP36. Our baby isn't due till October so we've got a bit of time yet.
I'm in the UK so the cable from amazon.com isn't available to me.
But I will try making my own with the pinout described in post 35

I have found some more information on this page about getting the cable in the UK.
It appears if you email enquiries@binatone-support.co.uk and enquire, they will sell you one for a tenner :)
I'll email then and report back.

I am also looking for this cable for the MBP36. Our baby isn't due till October so we've got a bit of time yet.
I'm in the UK so the cable from amazon.com isn't available to me.
But I will try making my own with the pinout described in post 35

I have found some more information on this page about getting the cable in the UK.
It appears if you email enquiries@binatone-support.co.uk and enquire, they will sell you one for a tenner :)
I'll email then and report back.

Let me know if you have better luck than me. I am only a novice/intermediate in EE and I was definitely not successful.

JimJ

Joined Dec 19, 2011
flackmonkey: thanks for the reference to the Amazon product.

I ordered the cable from Amazon that you posted, for $9.99:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UNBD88/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
received it in a few days, and tested it.

It converts the USB output from the parent's unit to an RCA jack composite video and an RCA jack mono audio. On my high-def TV, the video image is a little washed out - more like black and white rather than color, but it works!

s_mack

Joined Dec 17, 2011
While I think its horrible that they put out the product with a reference to a "cable" more than a year before actually making the cable... I'm glad there's now something for people to buy.

I mixed up the pinout again, but now it seems that I got it right. When holding the device so you're looking at the AV OUT recepticle and the lettering is upright, pin #1 is the pin on the left. When holding the mini USB connector so you're looking at the plug (not cable) side and the wider side of the outer metal sleeve is on top, pin 1 is on the right. The pinout, from pin 1 to pin 5, is the following one:

1. Not connected.
  2. Audio (white).
  3. Not connected.
  4. Video (yellow).
  5. Ground (black).

See the attachment for a photograph of a mini USB plug showing the pins.
Tested and working. :) But my picture on some old TV is black and white. I guess that is because baby monitor output NTSC and TV is PAL BG. Or maybe I am wrong... Can anyone confirm type of the output from baby monitor?

BTW. I have disassembled mini usb plug and rearranged them by your instructions. Cable did not have connected pin for video like JPElectron explained. Ty for explanations and attached picture.

I just recently purcahsed this same unit and the power input jack on the baby monitor started shorting out. I currently have it apart, however I'm having lots of trouble trying to find the replacement part. I'm new to searching for these type of components, could somebody help me? It's 6v 400mA.