A three phase motor

Ipgrulles

Joined Jun 17, 2022
Hi.
I recenetly took an engine from a treadmill excersise machine.

I want to "make it work".

How do I connect it properly... what other insturmants should i need...

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is the TM controller board available? You may be able to re-purpose it, if you can trace the connections.
Presuming it is a 1ph supply.?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Since when are there 3ph motors inside treadmills? I thought they used DC motors.

Well anyway, the treadmill must have had a VFD or something to control it. Do you still have the electronic guts of the treadmill?

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
You either need a 3-phase 220V supply or a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) - (also known as an inverter) powered from a single phase supply.
You might be able to make the motor spin by connecting two of the motor wires (say white and black) to a 220VAC supply and connecting a capacitor from one of the supply wires to the third (red) motor wire. This capacitor must be rated for the supply (at least 220VAC - 400VAC would be better) and have enough capacitance (a few microfarad). The motor is not designed to work this way so will not produce much power and will probably overheat if run for more than a few minutes.
Or just connect two of the wires, insulate the third and give it a spin by hand to start it!
This is all unsafe, high voltage stuff - so I don't recommend any of it!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You might be able to make the motor spin by connecting two of the motor wires (say white and black) to a 220VAC supply and connecting a capacitor from one of the supply wires to the third (red) motor wire. This capacitor must be rated for the supply (at least 220VAC - 400VAC would be better) and have enough capacitance (a few microfarad). The motor is not designed to work this way so will not produce much power and will probably overheat if run for more than a few minutes.
This is the basis for an RPC, Rotary Phase Convertor, in order to produce 3ph to run other 3 ph equipment on, it was done for some years until VFD's became popular, and cheap.