A Project Book for Learning Theory?

TheTaoOfPhil

Joined Mar 12, 2013
Hi,

In my effort to learn electronics, I have been patiently plodding through and taking careful notes from several introductory books, such as Understanding Basic Electronics (Banzhaf), Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics by Gibilisco, and Practical Electronics for Inventors by Scherz. From all three on a given topic, along with this site, I am getting a grasp of theory.

However, I am sorely missing a book of projects that demonstrate theory. There are plenty of recipe books that tell you to do this, do that, and now you have a circuit that does x y or z. But these sorts of books don't really explain _why_ the circuits do what they do.

I am looking closely on Amazon at the currently popular Make Electronics book. It does have some descent material on DC basics. But it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of ac (I am currently trying to understand reactance and impedence and don't find much in the Make book).

Based on the preview, Basic Electronics Theory With Projects and Experiments by Delton Horn seems to offer what I'm looking for. For example, there's an experiment for an RC circuit that recommends using a variable oscillator, and later on some descriptions of actual oscillator circuits and their pros and cons. The major shortcoming is that this book is reported, even in its fourth edition, to be full of egregious errors.

Can anyone recommend a project book that unites recipe with theory in a way that really helps to learn _why_ circuits do what they do? If not, I'll probably buy the Horn book but carefully check everything out against other sources, reason, and forums like this. Especially before I actually _build_ anything :)

I am grateful for your assistance.

Many thanks!