A partial derivative Question

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
I am doing an online assignment and struck at this question. Please explain how to do it.
Or better provide me the answer :)

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Or better yet, show YOUR work to get at an answer for YOUR assignment and then we can guide you through the problems you are making.

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
Or better yet, show YOUR work to get at an answer for YOUR assignment and then we can guide you through the problems you are making.
It's an online assignment. There is no provision for the getting the answer. I have to either leave it or do it. Though the number of attempts are unlimited. Can you offer any help?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, we can offer help AFTER you show your efforts to answer it yourself. Do the work as best you can and present it here. We can then look at what you have done and point out where you are going right and where you are going wrong. But YOU have to do the work.

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
Yes, we can offer help AFTER you show your efforts to answer it yourself. Do the work as best you can and present it here. We can then look at what you have done and point out where you are going right and where you are going wrong. But YOU have to do the work.
Dx2/dudv = 4
Dy/dudv=3
At u=5 v=4

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
I want partial derivative of Z wrt to v. But how to write it without knowing the actual expression of Z? I am missing some point here.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I want partial derivative of Z wrt to v. But how to write it without knowing the actual expression of Z? I am missing some point here.
You have

\(
z \; = \; f(x,y)
\)

and you want

\(
\frac{\partial z}{\partial v} \; = \; \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial v}
\)

So what does the chain rule say about this in terms of the partial derivatives of f(x,y) with respect to x and y?

Last edited:

shikhar623

Joined May 9, 2009
You have

\(
z \; = \; f(x,y)
\)

and you want

\(
\frac{\partial z}{\partial v} \; = \; \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial v}
\)

So what does the chain rule say about this in terms of the partial derivatives of f(x,y) with respect to x and y?
Thank you. I did it, but the time had lapsed.