A (hopefully) non-controversial thread about knives...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I didn't have the space to make knives when I was interested in doing it so I got into sharpening knives and learned how to properly use stones to make an edge.
I've had enough examples and dedicated enough time in practice, that I should be an expert at hand sharpening with a stone. But I am not. I'm terrible at it. Yes, I know, patience; I can patience, I do patience, I do not improve, I do not make knives sharp. I think I do not have the hand-eye coordination to repeatedly move a blade along a stone at the same angle each time. So I prefer sharpening devices which set the angle for you, so all you need to do is input motion.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I've had enough examples and dedicated enough time in practice, that I should be an expert at hand sharpening with a stone. But I am not. I'm terrible at it. Yes, I know, patience; I can patience, I do patience, I do not improve, I do not make knives sharp. I think I do not have the hand-eye coordination to repeatedly move a blade along a stone at the same angle each time. So I prefer sharpening devices which set the angle for you, so all you need to do is input motion.
I use ceramic stones but I am getting ready to invest in a KME system (or possibly a competitor, I haven't decided yet).

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Knife-Sharpener-System-Diamond/dp/B010ESF0AW/

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I picked this up in a second hand store for $10.
A good quality knife and it sure holds an edge.
Bucks are venerable knives. They essentially invented the lock back knife genre. Even though they are a budget knife, Buck spends a lot of time attending to heat treatment and so the 440C steel they use performs better than most other manufactures 440C.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I use ceramic stones but I am getting ready to invest in a KME system (or possibly a competitor, I haven't decided yet).

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Knife-Sharpener-System-Diamond/dp/B010ESF0AW/
That looks like something worth having. Hopefully the difference in its utility over the Lansky kit corresponds to the difference in price. I found the Lanksy kit cumbersome and not precise. Too cheap and flimsy, one cannot be confident that the angle does not change several times while making the progression from coarse to fine stones.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That looks like something worth having. Hopefully the difference in its utility over the Lansky kit corresponds to the difference in price. I found the Lanksy kit cumbersome and not precise. Too cheap and flimsy, one cannot be confident that the angle does not change several times while making the progression from coarse to fine stones.
I have seen very good recommendations for it with good results. There is another kit that uses conventional stones with a slightly different strategy that I am also looking at but this one seems 80% certain to be the one.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have seen very good recommendations for it with good results. There is another kit that uses conventional stones with a slightly different strategy that I am also looking at but this one seems 80% certain to be the one.
In admitting this I am probably detracting from any credibility I might have, but below is what I use now. My wife gave it to me for Christmas one year and I thought it was a gimmicky gadget but to show my appreciation I sharpened all the kitchen knives with it (that may or may not have been the goal, if it was I took the bait). I was more than a little impressed. Less than an hour to have every knife in the kitchen ready to shave with, and most of them were dull and damaged to start. So I used it on my pocket knife, and unsurprisingly it worked just as well. For someone who doesn't consider sharpening knives a hobby or a task that they'd like to spend entire evenings engaged in (if only because they suck at it) this is great. Shortcut? Cheating? Maybe, I don't care. It works. It's efficient and effective. To keep the edge well maintained I just run it through a couple passes each side with the ultra fine grit every couple weeks or so, depending on use. I try not to use it too much as I feel (just feel, no proof) that it removes more metal than stone sharpening.

Work Sharp WSKTS-KO-W Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CW4T6RS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QHZQZ547X718D5VF8KK1

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On the subject of knife sharpening, re: kitchen knives in particular, many have a knife block in their kitchen, but I have never seen anyone use the steel, or even know how, when they do use it.! :(
Strictly speaking, these knives should be 'steeled' between every use for maximum effectiveness.
An old butcher taught me how many moons ago in my youth.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
In admitting this I am probably detracting from any credibility I might have, but below is what I use now. My wife gave it to me for Christmas one year and I thought it was a gimmicky gadget but to show my appreciation I sharpened all the kitchen knives with it (that may or may not have been the goal, if it was I took the bait). I was more than a little impressed. Less than an hour to have every knife in the kitchen ready to shave with, and most of them were dull and damaged to start. So I used it on my pocket knife, and unsurprisingly it worked just as well. For someone who doesn't consider sharpening knives a hobby or a task that they'd like to spend entire evenings engaged in (if only because they suck at it) this is great. Shortcut? Cheating? Maybe, I don't care. It works. It's efficient and effective. To keep the edge well maintained I just run it through a couple passes each side with the ultra fine grit every couple weeks or so, depending on use. I try not to use it too much as I feel (just feel, no proof) that it removes more metal than stone sharpening.

Work Sharp WSKTS-KO-W Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CW4T6RS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QHZQZ547X718D5VF8KK1
I own one of these. I found it useful for longer blades like kitchen knives. It's a decent product.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
On the subject of knife sharpening, re: kitchen knives in particular, many have a knife block in their kitchen, but I have never seen anyone use the steel, or even know how, when they do use it.! :(
Strictly speaking, these knives should be 'steeled' between every use for maximum effectiveness.

The steel is a very important maintenance tool. It's too bad people don't know what it is for.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This is what I carried from pre-school (~age 4) until ~20 years old. Lost a few of them. Good ole 2 blade Barlows.
1631557736202.png
Then I carried a Victorinox Tinker until the side plates fell off of it about age 40. Corkscrew was a must have back then.
1631558127189.png
Now I don't go anywhere without this. My large blade Victorinox Lock Back multi-tool. It gets packed in the airline luggage and left in the glove box at the courthouse. It is a must have along with glasses, keys, wallet, and watch! Keep a Ouachita stone and honing oil on my dresser top.
IMG_0829[1].JPG
Also have a few lockback and sheathed hunting knives including a huge 10" bladed D Handle Bowie and my Tomahawk to go along with my black powder pistols! Along with various other pocketknives picked up here and there.
1631560568314.png
1631560969608.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
i took a photo of the "pallet" I have for kitting myself out for EDC. The knives, a couple of multitools, some flashlights, two magnifiers, and my keys.

Obviously, I don't carry it all at once! I also don't have my Knipex Cobras in the shot, but while I will almost always have the Osborne 940-1 as the knife, any of the others are candidates (the blue one is a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S110V steel). The larger light would be almost always paired with the black Griptilian and the flat Fittorch with the little Spyderco Squeak.
tempImagekoXRv5.gif

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019

Most blocks have a spot for a steel but don't come with one. I steel before using and ~once a year take them all out for a good stoning and honing. Wife often complains about the knife she's using being dull and I take it and give it a few swipes on the steel and it's ready to slice 'maters again. In high school I found a razor hone and along with a good hard Ouachita stone could get my knives razor sharp. Then they quit making steel knives and went to stainless ~1970. Never have been able make stainless as sharp as good cold hardened steel. IXL (England) and Case (USA) were my fave with Schrade Walden (USA) a close second pre stainless.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
I've got myself a mini "collection." My favorite blade is probably my Kershaw; it's sharp and reliable, and pretty durable. I've had to sharpen it a few times, but it holds an edge for a pretty decent amount of time.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Not sure why my Benchmade pictures didn't upload. Maybe too big. Here's a second try:

20210913_153439.jpg

It has more miles on it than what I've seen others put on a Benchmade knife. It's like they're afraid to use them.