A fantastic deal on an EDC knife

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What makes this knife worth $23 let alone $75? Looks like it is worth about $5 or $6.
It has G10 scales, very decent steel for the blade, and Spyderco manufacturing quality. Tight lockup, excellent liner lock, and a great grind. Very sharp, a great cutter. Perfect EDC folder for the pocket.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm curious as to the reasons for carrying such a large knife (besides self defense)?
I have a use for such a knife perhaps a few times a year.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm curious as to the reasons for carrying such a large knife (besides self defense)?
I have a use for such a knife perhaps a few times a year.
That's not a large knife, and I would never carry a knife as a weapon, you are as likely to be injured as the person you are defending against.

That blade is a standard size for an EDC knife. I carry a different blade profile, but it is used for cutting line, tape, packages, even food (you keep it clean if you plan on that). The blade I use can do some light prying as well. I use mine nearly every day, often several times.

The knife I use is a Benchmade 940 Osborne with a reverse tanto blade profile in S90V steel and carbon fiber scales.
Please excuse the poor photo taken in a hurry.

IMG_6206.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
These are not on sale, but I have carried a Case XX since boyhood. Broke the long blade off many years ago. I use that blade for stripping wires ever since. I believe I have tried all American penknife brands.

But from baling twine to small game and fish, to weeny sticks......no edge could beat my Case.

https://www.smkw.com/brands/case?blade_number=930&brand=27&origin=334
Case makes an excellent slip joint pocket knife. In some jurisdictions, locking blades are not permitted so slip joints are the only option. If you like the traditional two or three blade folder, Case or Buck is a nice choice. The only problem I have had with case is rust, but that’s cosmetic, exacerbated by the pretty high polish case puts on their blades.

Pocket knifes are tools, but they are particularly personal ones, and the choice of which, or any, you might carry is something like choosing your clothes. I’ve carried many things from a variety of Victorinox “Swiss Army” models, to Case and Buck, to Spyderco and Benchmade. I have only a few left in the rotation, but the one I showed here is the most likely to be in my pocket at this point.

TrmickCO

Joined Oct 9, 2016
The thing about Case knives, a lot or so beautiful you don't want to use it as an everyday "beater" knife :) Bought one for my brother as a gift. They make great gifts. For EDC I still mostly have just carried my SOG Flash II. It has been through hard use for the last eight years!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The thing about Case knives, a lot or so beautiful you don't want to use it as an everyday "beater" knife :) Bought one for my brother as a gift. They make great gifts.
They also don't have as good a steel in them today as they used to. They are today one of those things that are still getting by on the name not the quality. I call them, the beanie babies or Hummel figurines of the knife world, for collectors only.