A cloned computer problem

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have also posted this thread on major geeks.

This has been a bad month for me on the computing front , I have managed to damage 2 very good machines Because of static damage.My old machine was an excellent one until a static zap took out most of the high speed USB ports So I got a new one in and was in the process of setting it up when I'll be darned if I didn't zap it too. It seems that the 2 TB hard drive was dead.after I set up a return on it through Amazon I got this thinking what would happen if that hard drive was still readable with all my personal data on it. So I bought a 2TB SSD HD and cloned my original hard drive onto it using Macrium reflect 8 Home edition (an excellent program I would highly recommend). When I put the newly cloned drive in the second computer it worked. Perfect right ?

Which brings me to my problem I now have two machines on my network with the same user ID and everything else cloned on the second machine . I need to take my old machine which still usable and somehow distinguish it on the network as a different ID. It was kind of a server for all of my other computers. Any ideas as to how my might accomplish this?

It also looks like I'm gonna have to open another teamviewer account which means I need to create a new e-mail address. That may actually relate back to the other problem. At the moment I am getting by by not having both computers on at the same time.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Macrium reflect 8 Home edition
The free version will be going away next year.
I need to take my old machine which still usable and somehow distinguish it on the network as a different ID. It was kind of a server for all of my other computers. Any ideas as to how my might accomplish this?
You can have both machines on your network and they'll have unique IP addresses (assuming you're using dynamic IP address and you have something serving addresses). All you'd need to do is change the computer name. If you were sharing things with other computers (disk drives/printers), you might have to change hostnames.