8 terminal capacitor identification

VernonLS

Joined Oct 9, 2019
I have a circuit board with a device marked C1 on the board. This device has 8 what appear to be independent terminals. It is about 1/16 wide and 1/8 long. I cannot seem to find similar devices from the various capacitor vendors, but it is probably because I am not describing it correctly. It is a very tiny surface mount device and appears to be used to couple an input signal to a chip which converts frequency to voltage (LM2907) so that only an AC signal (square wave, 5V nominal from an optical encoder) is seen by the chip.

Can anyone tell me what the common name is for a capacitor with 8 terminals and how the manufacturers describe and sell it?

Thanks for your time.

vern

VernonLS

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Please post a good focused picture.
I wish I could but I cannot get a good picture. It is too tiny and I only have a cell phone. There are no markings on the device itself, but it is marked C1 next to it on the circuit board. It is gray in color, about 1/8 long, 1/16 wide and 1/32 thick and is surface mount.

Thanks for your interest. I am mostly looking for ways to describe the device so that I can do a good google search or look for it on mouser or digikey, etc.

thanks,

vern

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Are you sure its a capacitor and not an IC. Can you see if it has connection to VCC and VDD.( supply voltages). Must say I have never heard of an eight legged capacitor(but doesnt mean they cant exist). Are the connections all in line or do are there four each sideas per an IC?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Does your phone have a AUTO FOCUS/MACRO setting on the camera? If so, select MACRO for closeup. Very hande feature on my phones!

VernonLS

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Are you sure its a capacitor and not an IC. Can you see if it has connection to VCC and VDD.( supply voltages). Must say I have never heard of an eight legged capacitor(but doesnt mean they cant exist). Are the connections all in line or do are there four each sideas per an IC?
ok, I have drawn the usage of this device. As I said, it has 8 terminals with 4 on one edge and 4 on the other edge. These terminals are connected as shown. The LM2907 chip description indicates that pin 1 is the postitive terminal for the input signal while pin 2 is to be connected to an external capacitor which is charged/discharged by the LM2907 during cycles of the input on pin 1. In the LM2907 tech description a typical value for the capacitor placed on pin 2 is 1 microfarad.

See the drawing. Thanks for your interest and just hoping to find what this C1 device is exactly. C1-circuit.jpg