8 foot led tubes single pin review

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
These are available without the milky diffuser.
Have not ordered any, but I have looked at the ones I repaired.
It's like little lasers.:eek:

A job I was at recently had led lights with clear lenses, but they were on a 30-40ft ceiling.

#12 excellent idea to use protection. +1

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
How are the situations as the picture show from inwo on #1?

I want to using the similar way, but concerned the bad news so i still didn't use it.
If you mean low light level. Keep in mind that I replaced 300W with 18W.

If I use 36 watt it will be about the same light level.
However, I use for general lighting, to get around the garage. The 18W is fine. I have other lighting where needed.

And as far as the desk goes, I get 4 times the light with same watts.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Something I will mention to anyone using AliExpress for led lighting.

Lots of mistakes (scams) in listings.

One is that many are UL listed in the specs. If you pin then down. Not so.

The major scam is in quantity pricing.

One purchase listed 50 lot and $4.50 each.

Down in the fine print was 25 per lot.

Same problem with many listings.

When pinned down, they say it's mistake, but don't fix it.

Bad thing is, when you print the listing after purchase, the per item cost goes away.

It would be hard to dispute once you get shorted.:(

Example:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-...V-pir-motion-led-tube-CE-ROHS/2024353097.html

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you mean low light level. Keep in mind that I replaced 300W with 18W.

If I use 36 watt it will be about the same light level.
However, I use for general lighting, to get around the garage. The 18W is fine. I have other lighting where needed.

And as far as the desk goes, I get 4 times the light with same watts.
How high does the Ceiling to the floor?

Maybe the lights is safe from the Ceiling, but not for table.

I was used the CCFL for table light, you can see from here, that was translated from google, the important thing is to see the pictures.

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
Something I will mention to anyone using AliExpress for led lighting.

Lots of mistakes (scams) in listings.

One is that many are UL listed in the specs. If you pin then down. Not so.

The major scam is in quantity pricing.

One purchase listed 50 lot and $4.50 each.

Down in the fine print was 25 per lot.

Same problem with many listings.

When pinned down, they say it's mistake, but don't fix it.

Bad thing is, when you print the listing after purchase, the per item cost goes away.

It would be hard to dispute once you get shorted.:(
So how did you get around this ?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
So how did you get around this ?

In most cases, avoid the dishonest or incompetent sellers.

This one(link), I wanted the product, even at the higher cost. However, now I worry, it's a complete scam.:(

Best case the 50 lot will ship.:)

It's a risky place to do business, in any case.

Another purchase is for led bulbs. The listing is for 220v, seller says, "no problem" will ship 120v.

I'll believe it when I see them. 50W bulbs are 1/10 the cost of a USA supplier. They can't be much!

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
How high does the Ceiling to the floor?

Maybe the lights is safe from the Ceiling, but not for table.

I was used the CCFL for table light, you can see from here, that was translated from google, the important thing is to see the pictures.
9ft ceiling in garage. These 18W leds are well diffused. As are the tubes.

No problem glancing at them. I wouldn't stare into a 300W incandescent either.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
cheap is cheap for a reason..

you've already got failures and were only days into it.. started as 2 bad.. then 4 more.. ,etc... expect more..
There is one thing these "cheap" product companies do.. thats actually be fairly consistent with the work.. bad solder on one will more than likely show as bad solder on many/all of them.. your just lucky so far..

There are good companies out there too... sadly there are far more inferior ones..

sadder than that is that cost has really moved up and become a major decision point these days.. and we all keep falling for it. me included..

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
The bulbs I have on order are cheap. Known bad seller! I only need them for testing in some church fixtures. If they look good but are junk, they can pay $180 per good quality 50W bulb, but I'm not going to.:eek:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/101095/LED-8024E42.html
These are <$20 each.

The led tubes seem to be good quality. No failures in 30 days. They are burned in for 24hrs before shipping.

Great communication from seller. They replaced the two doa.

My research shows them to be good value. A little more money than some. 110 X 2835leds rather than normal 96. Well built driver circuit compared to some.

Time will tell.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
And time tells me ...................................that they are bad.............Corn bulbs, not tubes..............8ft and 4ft tubes are great!!!!
50W bulb with 165-leds measures 20 watt. (input)
40W bulb with 132-leds measures 23 watt.
30W bulb with 102-leds measures 18 watt.

All about .62 pf

All would be good replacements for 150 watt. :(

Yet at about $12 each, not a bad value.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
And time tells me ...................................that they are bad.............Corn bulbs, not tubes..............8ft and 4ft tubes are great!!!!
50W bulb with 165-leds measures 20 watt. (input)
40W bulb with 132-leds measures 23 watt.
30W bulb with 102-leds measures 18 watt.

All about .62 pf

All would be good replacements for 150 watt. :(

Yet at about $12 each, not a bad value.
Ok. Now I am confused. What is good and what is bad?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
The bulbs I have on order are cheap. Known bad seller! I only need them for testing in some church fixtures. If they look good but are junk, they can pay $180 per good quality 50W bulb, but I'm not going to.:eek:
Time will tell.
Even with 7 bulbs in each fixture, it doesn't cut it. It's on to try some 120W high bay lights. $100 to $300 each.

I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Windstang

Joined Feb 26, 2015
I installed about 60 - 4 foot and 40 - 8 foot LED tubes as a retrofit into existing fixtures in a business recently so I'll share my experience for those contemplating doing something similar.

I looked on Aliexpress and have successfully bought other things before so was not put off by buying from China. Because I installed these devices in a business, and not my home, I was more aware of needing proper approvals, and being in Canada, I specifically wanted Canadian approvals - namely cUL, or cULus. In the US you will want UL or ULus approval. A lot of the Aliexpress sites show lots of various approvals but many don't have the UL approval that I wanted. There is a difference in how they are installed (more on that later). Many vendors in Canada said they had cULus, but when pushed for a file number, did not actually have cUL approval. Some approvals were cUR which they were hanging their hats on as a proper approval. Lots of discussion with a UL engineer revealed that the UR approval (Recognized Component) is generally for a manufacturer getting parts approved for eventually assembly into a device which would then be submitted for approval as a complete assembly. A UR only approval is not approved for a field retrofit but only as part of an assembly that a manufacturer puts together. In many cases, (in my opinion) the difference amounts to the manufacturer getting retrofit instructions approved with the component however a UR approval is not 'enough' of an approval for a field retrofit installation. So - I wanted cUL approval on the 4 foot and 8 foot tubes.

1) 4 foot tubes - Many of the Aliexpress tubes for sale with the dual pin ends are internally wired so one end of the tube on both pins is "N" and the other end is "L". This type of connection is NOT cUL approved. (not sure if it qualifies for ULus approval either but I don't think so). Tubes that are cUL approved are wired so that only one end is wired to a power source - that is one pin is "N" and the other pin is "L" on one end of the tube only and no connection on the other end of the tube. So the fixture must be modified so that power (120vac) is applied to only one tombstone and not both. The ballast must be removed.

2) 8 Foot tubes with the FA8 end. I learned that the FA8 end is the larger single pin on each end of the tube. Now using the pin connection info from the 4 foot tube, then it is difficult to get cUL approval with L & N being applied to individual ends. I eventually found a Chinese manufacturer that knew the requirements to get cUL approval on an 8 foot tube. What I ended up getting was an external power supply (rather than each tube have it's own internal power supply to drive the LED's) that converted 120vac to 42 VDC. In this case my fixtures were a dual tube type so one power supply could power both tubes. In this case the tubes and the power supplies individually had cUR approval and both components as an assembly were cUL approved.

Although not specifically mentioned I rationalized that UL didn't like the possibility of installing tubes in the fixture "H first" and the installer or maintenance person potentially touching the N connectors on the other end then touching ground and of course getting a shock. So by having H & N on only one end on the 4 foot tubes, this wouldn't happen and with the 8 foot tubes having 42 VDC on each end, that is not considered a lethal voltage so cUL could be obtained.

So the approved tubes got installed and in my case ALL tubes worked fortunately.
a) Feedback from the office staff is that there is less eye strain from the LED bulbs because there is no flicker as there was from the fluorescent tubes. I bought 4100K color which they seem to like.
b) Current measurements indicate the tubes take about 1/2 the amps than the fluorescent tubes took. I didn't measure power factor. So I figure there is about a 4 year payout on this installation. Bulbs cost was about $5000. A local electrician quoted $50,000 to replace the fixtures with new LED fixtures - not worth it from a payout perspective. I didn't include ballast failure/replacement cost in the payout calc. I used $0.12 per kWhr.
c) Measured with a lumen meter app on my phone, the LED bulbs had twice the lumen output of the fluorescent tubes - but that could be because I cleaned the fixtures so they reflected more light.
d) because of the extra brightness, they asked if the tubes were dimmable and unfortunately they were not.

I hope this helps others if you are concerned about getting properly approved LED devices

chents

Joined Mar 17, 2015
I installed about 60 - 4 foot and 40 - 8 foot LED tubes as a retrofit into existing fixtures in a business recently so I'll share my experience for those contemplating doing something similar.

I looked on Aliexpress and have successfully bought other things before so was not put off by buying from China. Because I installed these devices in a business, and not my home, I was more aware of needing proper approvals, and being in Canada, I specifically wanted Canadian approvals - namely cUL, or cULus. In the US you will want UL or ULus approval. A lot of the Aliexpress sites show lots of various approvals but many don't have the UL approval that I wanted. There is a difference in how they are installed (more on that later). Many vendors in Canada said they had cULus, but when pushed for a file number, did not actually have cUL approval. Some approvals were cUR which they were hanging their hats on as a proper approval. Lots of discussion with a UL engineer revealed that the UR approval (Recognized Component) is generally for a manufacturer getting parts approved for eventually assembly into a device which would then be submitted for approval as a complete assembly. A UR only approval is not approved for a field retrofit but only as part of an assembly that a manufacturer puts together. In many cases, (in my opinion) the difference amounts to the manufacturer getting retrofit instructions approved with the component however a UR approval is not 'enough' of an approval for a field retrofit installation. So - I wanted cUL approval on the 4 foot and 8 foot tubes.

1) 4 foot tubes - Many of the Aliexpress tubes for sale with the dual pin ends are internally wired so one end of the tube on both pins is "N" and the other end is "L". This type of connection is NOT cUL approved. (not sure if it qualifies for ULus approval either but I don't think so). Tubes that are cUL approved are wired so that only one end is wired to a power source - that is one pin is "N" and the other pin is "L" on one end of the tube only and no connection on the other end of the tube. So the fixture must be modified so that power (120vac) is applied to only one tombstone and not both. The ballast must be removed.

2) 8 Foot tubes with the FA8 end. I learned that the FA8 end is the larger single pin on each end of the tube. Now using the pin connection info from the 4 foot tube, then it is difficult to get cUL approval with L & N being applied to individual ends. I eventually found a Chinese manufacturer that knew the requirements to get cUL approval on an 8 foot tube. What I ended up getting was an external power supply (rather than each tube have it's own internal power supply to drive the LED's) that converted 120vac to 42 VDC. In this case my fixtures were a dual tube type so one power supply could power both tubes. In this case the tubes and the power supplies individually had cUR approval and both components as an assembly were cUL approved.

Although not specifically mentioned I rationalized that UL didn't like the possibility of installing tubes in the fixture "H first" and the installer or maintenance person potentially touching the N connectors on the other end then touching ground and of course getting a shock. So by having H & N on only one end on the 4 foot tubes, this wouldn't happen and with the 8 foot tubes having 42 VDC on each end, that is not considered a lethal voltage so cUL could be obtained.

So the approved tubes got installed and in my case ALL tubes worked fortunately.
a) Feedback from the office staff is that there is less eye strain from the LED bulbs because there is no flicker as there was from the fluorescent tubes. I bought 4100K color which they seem to like.
b) Current measurements indicate the tubes take about 1/2 the amps than the fluorescent tubes took. I didn't measure power factor. So I figure there is about a 4 year payout on this installation. Bulbs cost was about $5000. A local electrician quoted $50,000 to replace the fixtures with new LED fixtures - not worth it from a payout perspective. I didn't include ballast failure/replacement cost in the payout calc. I used $0.12 per kWhr.
c) Measured with a lumen meter app on my phone, the LED bulbs had twice the lumen output of the fluorescent tubes - but that could be because I cleaned the fixtures so they reflected more light.
d) because of the extra brightness, they asked if the tubes were dimmable and unfortunately they were not.

I hope this helps others if you are concerned about getting properly approved LED devices
Thanks for all the info. I'm in Toronto, Canada. Could you send me some links / details in regards to 8foot LEDs? I have about 60 8foot T12's that i'd like to replace with 8foot LEDs. I would really appreciate if you could suggest the tubes and the external power supply you talked about.

Thanks.

Windstang

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Sorry I didn't see your request until I went browsing. Below is the company I found via Aliexpress that I bought the UL approved bulbs from.
So far - no failures. The staff love the lights. (I did buy a few bulbs initially from Initial Led in Montreal - but they are quite expensive. Their 4 foot tube has about a 1 second delay on start up which is quite annoying that they didn't acknowledge. Maybe fixed by now).

FY Lighting
5F,Block F,Weiye Innovation Industrial Park,Hangcheng Rd.,Bao'An,Shenzhen,China
Phone:0755-61190333-803, 15012626010(cell). Fax:0755-61190388
terrence@ledtubeschina.com
www.ledtubeschina.com