74LS04 chip

jessi

Joined Apr 12, 2005
Can someone tell me what the recommended operating voltage for the 74LS04 chip is as well as what the maximum operating voltage is? I just started this Digital class and for some reason the book I have doesn't list this, even though it lists all the others....go figure???

Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The normal operating voltage for 74LS is 5 volts. My Signetics TTL manual says that it will go to 7 volts before the smoke comes out, but I'd get real nervous going above 6 volts. That's probably because I used straight TTL for so many years. The output current should not exceed 15 mills, too.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by jessi@May 26 2005, 12:57 AM
Can someone tell me what the recommended operating voltage for the 74LS04 chip is as well as what the maximum operating voltage is? I just started this Digital class and for some reason the book I have doesn't list this, even though it lists all the others....go figure???

Thanks
[post=7934]Quoted post[/post]​
You can get a datasheet on this, or almost any other IC, from:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheet/pdf/2916.html

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Originally posted by jessi@May 25 2005, 06:57 PM
Can someone tell me what the recommended operating voltage for the 74LS04 chip is as well as what the maximum operating voltage is?
[post=7934]Quoted post[/post]​
I always worked TTL and TTL LS with 5V nominal.

VERY SELDOM close to 5,25 V (probably once or twice) and quite often close to 4,85 V.

Nominal value is 5 V and there are lot of regulators available that bring you always there.

From all what I recall I've never worked above 5,25 V and I think there was a bad experience even there... and some warm feeling...

That's why I still love CMOS. But that is another story.