74189 64-bit RAM IC

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
From time to time people come to me with fake parts coming from Jameco. Lots of IC some resistors, capacitors, fuses and relays.
Hi,
So in other words you have no personal experience in buying these alleged fake products, just hearsay.?

I am not a defending eBay or Amazon, but I consider unfair and unreasonable to denigrate any business, when you have no direct experience of a problem.

E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
From time to time people come to me with fake parts coming from Jameco
I have daily personal experience with fakes, a bin full, my recycler loves those fakes and is richer as a result.
hi 747,
A big jump from time to time , to daily.:rolleyes:

My last post on this topic.

So in other words you have no personal experience in buying these alleged fake products, just hearsay.?

E

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
With Jameco you can also easily get fakes.
Be careful, unless you have proof. Companies are serving legal papers to recover from the damages that wild claims have caused their business and reputation. I have ordered thousands of chips from Jameco when I was repairing vintage stereo and Ham equipment with only two or three bad chips (see below*).

They have an office, warehouse and walk-up order desk in a high-rent district. You should stop by the order desk and discuss your troubles next time you are in San Francisco - they are just a mile or two from the airport and would love to talk to you. I really doubt they are risking their business with counterfeits.

* Note that some hard to find parts were discontinued by the manufacturer because of low reliability so and they were made with 1980s technology. it is very possible you had a bum chip from the factory - or you are not using the anti-static handling techniques recommended by the manufacturer. Static was a much bigger issue on early CMOS chips than today but can still be a problem.

** Jameco is the only online electronics company I've seen that has a walk-up order desk. You can browse their catalog, fill in a paper order slip or complete an online order and check "will call". It will be ready for you in about 15 minutes. Or, if you place the order online before you show up and use "will call" as shipping method, it will be waiting at the desk when you get there. Great company.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i can't find a 74189 or 74F189 (64-bit ram) do you know a replacement for that ic (DIP)
What speed to you need? I have some new old stock Xicor X2210 (64x4 NVRAM) that I'd sell you for what Jameco wants for 74189. Though postage from the US to Belgium might be an issue...

They're an order of magnitude or so slower than the TTL part, but they have the added advantage of being able to save and restore data.

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
I have some 7489.
What do you plan to do with them?
i want to desing my own 8-bit computer like ben eater but upgraded but first iam gonna star twith his one but its cheaper for me to0 buy the parts appart

but on digi key their sold out and that is my best place to get elektronics

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I admire anyone who wants to build a retro computer for the sake of learning and for the enjoyment.

Personally, I thing it would be just as satisfying building a computer at a higher level of integration using CPU ICs such as 6502, 6800, 6809, 68000. You would end up with a system that can actually run fairly complex software.

At the next level, consider using a fully integrated MCU such as Atmel ATmega or MSP430. These will be fully supported with up-to-date software development tools.

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
I am interested in computers (but more ICT than it) and oscillators (especially synths) I first started to program in python and then this year I started more appreciate the ICT side because I find it cooler and more fun than just think and write a program