7 Segment LED in Digital Works 95

jord1510

Joined Oct 20, 2016
( I don't need you to do it for me I just need some advice on how to go around it, I need to learn this)
this is the task ive been left with, im only a couple of weeks into my course and never used digital works 95 before

Detail of the task

Designing a circuit for a 7 Segment LED counter to display your student number The Problem:

Design a circuit to take a binary input and display a number on the counter (7 Segment LED in Digital Works 95 ). The counter needs to display the number 1 followed by 6 to indicate the year (i.e. 2016). Then this will be followed by your unique student ID number (6 digits person number). This will mean that everybody will have a unique problem to solve as no two students have the same student number. So if my student number was 721092 then my counter would need to display . 16721092

I need to Build a circuit using only AND, OR, NOT, NAND and NOR logic gates to stimulate the counter. i should use 3 sequencers or bit generators in my circuit as input. i will be Drawing the circuit using Digital Works 95.' which I haven't used before' The numbers should change automatically without any user input

thank in advance
p.s ive added the complete course work as a attachment,

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This is classic design exercise given to students in an introductory course on digital design.

Whereas the initial concept may be straight forward, there are two complications that the tutor might not have considered.

1) A repeating digit in the student number, e.g. 3506159
or as per the assignment example 16123456.

2) A repeating digit in succession, e.g. 3506629

I will not address solutions for the above cases and leave that as additional problem solving exercise for the student.

What you are asked to design is a finite state machine using flip-flops and combinational logic. This requires the use of truth tables, Karnaugh maps and boolean algebra.

These topics are covered in the AAC eText.

Finite State Machines
Karnaugh Maps

jord1510

Joined Oct 20, 2016
I successfully buil the circuit guys thank you,

im finding it hard to simplify boolean expression ( A.B + A.B.C + A.B.C.D + A.B.C.D.E + A.B.C.D.E.F ) how would i simplify it ??

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
im finding it hard to simplify boolean expression ( A.B + A.B.C + A.B.C.D + A.B.C.D.E + A.B.C.D.E.F ) how would i simplify it ??
Do you see any expressions that can be factored out?

BTW, how did you handle the 9 in your student ID?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I successfully buil the circuit guys thank you,

How many minterms are in a six-variable truth-table for A, B, C, D, E, F?
How many of these minterms are represented by A.B?

jord1510

Joined Oct 20, 2016
ive been looking at this equation for he last 40 minutes and getting nowhere, anyone know how to solve it ? or easier the answer hahaha had enough of it

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
ive been looking at this equation for he last 40 minutes and getting nowhere, anyone know how to solve it ? or easier the answer hahaha had enough of it
We know how to do it. What your Instructor wants to know is if you can do it.

Have you read this from your Academic Misconduct guidelines? I assume you're attending LJMU:
upload_2016-11-6_8-39-40.png